Help Tuning/Troubleshooting 350 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Help Tuning/Troubleshooting 350 rebuild

Hey guys,
I finally finished putting my '79 camaro back together after an engine rebuild with bigger cams and need some advice on tuning it up and getting it running right. All the parts are new and I've probably put about 30 miles on the motor so far.

Here are some of the problems I am experiencing:

1.) Hard to start, requires turn overs and pumping on the gas.
2.) When it does start, I have to keep my foot on the gas about half way or it dies from 700 RPM within the first minute of running.
3.) Sometimes when I'm having trouble starting it, it sounds like my belt is slipping? High pitched squeal; then it goes away after the motor runs for a couple of seconds.
4.) The rocker arms seem to be clanking a little, is this normal?
5.) I have no idea what the carb is set to, my neighbor turned the left and right ports in different amounts and I have no idea where they are supposed to be.

Here is my fuel and ignition set up:
Edelbrock 20214 - Edelbrock Performer EPS Intake Manifold and Carburetor Kit
MSD Part No. 8362 - Street Fire Chevrolet V8 GM HEI Distributor

My timing is at 4 degrees BTC @ 500-600 RPM and advances to 8 degrees BTC @ 900-1000 RPM. I have not installed the advance stop that came with the MSD distributor yet.

Carb vacuum configuration:
I have the vacuum advance hooked up on the front passenger side of the carb, EGR on the front center, and power brakes on the back center.

I'm attaching some pics of what I have so far, any help would be appreciated. I would love to get back on the road!

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Help Tuning/Troubleshooting 350 rebuild-2010-12-08-17.11.23.jpg   Help Tuning/Troubleshooting 350 rebuild-2010-12-12-17.16.23.jpg   Help Tuning/Troubleshooting 350 rebuild-2010-12-22-14.46.30.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Very nice engine bay! Love it.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1.) Your choke isn't set right.
2.) Your choke isn't set right, nor is the fast idle adjustment.
3.) Tighten up your belt adjustment.
4.) No, it's not. Re-check your valve lash adjustment.
5.) With the engine off, turn the idle adjustment screws all the way in, then back them out two turns as a starting point.
After that, read the owners manual in the link below to set the choke, fast idle, idle jets, and curb idle.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

as far as the rockers go it sounds like they may be too tight what i always did was tightened untill they claked then back of untill they are quiet as far as the hard starting and other probs camaro69 is right on.
Dave

Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Overdrive Member

What 69 said. Also the MSD doesn't have an advance limiter it's a lock out I believe. Thats the way pro billets are at least.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by spifff2003
as far as the rockers go it sounds like they may be too tight what i always did was tightened untill they claked then back of untill they are quiet as far as the hard starting and other probs camaro69 is right on.
Dave
??????????? I've never had a rocker make any noise from being tightened too much? At some point the valves just don't close and it begins to backfire back through the carb. If left that way it eventually will cause the headers to glow red hot, and burn valves.
I do just the opposite; back them off until they begin to click, then turn them down until quiet.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks guys,
I'll make the choke and carb adjustments and report back.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
??????????? I've never had a rocker make any noise from being tightened too much? At some point the valves just don't close and it begins to backfire back through the carb. If left that way it eventually will cause the headers to glow red hot, and burn valves.
I do just the opposite; back them off until they begin to click, then turn them down until quiet.
Val I stand corrected you are right it's been along time since i've done it as soon as i read your post it came back
Dave

Old 02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OK guys,
The starting problems were related to the choke.. In fact, the negative ground wire broke loose so I had no choke at all

The tuning seems a little rich (smelling gas) but I'm trying to different things and looking over the edlelbrock manual for help.

The only thing left is the knocking from the rocker arms, so from what I read I just need to tighten all the rockers up in equal increments?

Is there a certain torque or anything I need worry about?

Thanks,
Almost there!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 AM
2nd Gear member

Since nobody asked and you didn't say, Is this a solid lifter cam or hydraulic cam??
Solid lifter cam you are going to adjust VALVE LASH with feeler gauge
Hydraulic cam you will adjust to 0 lash and usually 1 full turn of the nut.
Buy a MANUAL

Quick Reply: Help Tuning/Troubleshooting 350 rebuild