Help Please: License Plate Bracket '74

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Default Help Please: License Plate Bracket '74

where can i find a license plate bracket for the front of my 74 camaro?
i have looked all over and cant find one.
the license plate holes do not match up to the bumper holes.
im sure there is a bracket but could you help me find it.
thanks, caddbkj
TEXAS - have to have a front license plate on the front.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

They've got a number of good used ones.
http://www.allamericanclassics.com/

Old 12-13-2009, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear member

you can get a retractable one if you look around. it slides on a track and will fit under the front of your car... maybe.. i know they use them on new camaros and firebirds like 93-2002 lota people like them. theres even powered ones that you flip switch and it slides forward and up most cops wont give you problems about them eather. but i do know my 79 has that wired underbelly in the nose that wont really allow it but. thats just an idea for yeah. ill find you a link just so yeah know.

im planning on filling the holes for my bracket and running my plate in the window but idk bout your laws if u will still get tickets for it.

Last edited by brownstone101; 12-13-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM
2nd Gear member
Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Oregon requires both plates too, but if your car is pre 1976 they let you slide with only one plate in the back! Wish I had known this before I painted my car, as I would have welded the holes shut in the lower valance. Now I have the square holes, with white plastic inserts, and no front plate.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah im just going to run the one plate in my window. i really dont care. lol i live in rural area so i dont see many cops. its just when i go though town they might be like why is it in your window

Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yea, I was laying mine there, and then when I saw a cop I'd fumble quickly to make sure it could be seen. Then once I heard I just tossed it in the roll around tool box. They don't even give it a second look now.
Of course they find a lot of other reasons to follow me, or pull me over! Never any tickets, but they sure seem intent on giving me an ulcer. I wish they'd just say they wanted to look at the car, cause this flashing light thing is really getting to my nerves!
I had one pull me over a couple months ago to ask me if I was "spinning cookies" in the middle of a busy street. After looking the car over and running my license, he came back and said he must have made a mistake and apologised. It really is getting old now.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
2nd Gear member

been pulled over twice in my 79. once so they could tell me my window was broke. it was even worse cause i saw him looking at me as he drove by and he waited around the corner so i could drive by my dumbass self shoulda went the other way lol.

2nd time was in a park a cop was walkin around and it was busy something happened and i had a bad vacuum leak at the manifold (fixed) but it was running worse so i coasted in neutral into the parking lot and reved it up to clear the engine out and he flagged me over to accuse me of doing burn outs in a public place with kids around and im like its in neutral man im clearing it out shes runnin like crap today. he said to cool it and take it easy but he pissed me off. also ran though town with no hood they didnt look twice then lol gona have to take her to a muffler shop with open headers.. that might be an event i got to get 2 bends in and it will be easier if they have the car i think so.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I could go on forever about the various times I've been pulled over in the Camaro over the last 36 yrs. and all for things I didn't do. Not that I haven't done things I should get a ticket for, but it seems like every time I was ever pulled over, it was when I wasn't breaking the law!
Let's see???? Four times for drag racing (speed exhibition) two times with rice cars that I wouldn't have wasted my time on, once with a late 2nd gen Firebird, and once with a 70's Duster. The Duster was really funny, cause he wanted to race, but I saw the cop sitting beside a building, so I revved it up, but when the light turned I just let him go. Still I got pulled over too, and written a ticket.
Once I was sitting in a left turn lane behind a VW Rabbit. He was watching me in his mirror, and when it turned green he did a little mini chirp, and the cop in the gas station looked up and guess who she saw? She turned on her lights, pulled me over, then after I told her if I was "burning out" there'd be no question where it came from, she dropped it and let me go.
Actually I ended up in court on about 6-7 different times, and beat all of them by presnting my case, and actually having officers admit they may have been wrong in all but the one case with the Duster. I beat that one too, but only after the judge heard the story and told the officer he was out of line to take my driver's license and send me home, go to a robbery call, and show up at 3:00 AM at my door to finish writing me a ticket! My wife and I were dating then, and she was my witness when the cop didn't remember he'd done that later in court. Had to marry her once she had my back in court!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear member

lol nice. yeah my dads got storys of them turning lights on him and turning into a 7/11 after tail gateing him for a good 4 miles in his 74 T/A. (long hair leather yeah know)
i got pulled over in the 98 and i didnt have my licence on me cause i did the oil that night.
11 at night alleged speed 70 in a 55 was not doing such speed but being im a minor i had to write an essay and got my licence in a plasic wrap for 3 months so i didnt both fighting it.

the cop who pulled me over for the window complemented me saying its gonna be a sweet car when its done though lol