Help with 1974 Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Default Help with 1974 Z28?

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here before, so I hope I'm not posting this in the incorrect place, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some info on a Camaro (and forgive me if this is a bit long). My dad has finally decided to sell it, and since he has never used a computer in his life, he asked for my help in figuring out how much it might be worth. Here is the information he gave me:

1974 Chevy Camaro - Type LT Z28
~34,000 Miles
350 Small Block 8 Cyl
4 Speed Hurst Transmission

Here are some photos of it just for reference (hopefully the link works for you):

http://picasaweb.google.com/Xnivek/DadSCar

As far as the body and things go, it apparently has all the original body (hood etc), paint, and no rust or damage or anything.

Here's the thing though though, this car has just been sitting in his garage for about 20 years. It ran great when he stored it, but it hasn't had anything done to it in that time. Neither of us knows too much about cars, so we were also wondering:

What sorts of things would need to be done to get it running again after all this time? Major stuff? Minor stuff? Expensive stuff?

So just to be clear: We wanted to know if anyone had any ideas about how much this particular car might be worth in this condition?

Thanks, and let me know if there might be any other information you would need from me.

EDIT:

The cowl tag lines also read as follows ( spaces represented by - ):

ST - 74 - 1Fs87 - N - 170942EDY - BODY

776 - A51 - 11-11 - PAINT

03C - Z28 - BLK

If this gives any more info.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Default RE: Help with 1974 Z28?

Hi nice car. Where are you located/ I don't know exactly what the car is worth but here's what you need to do to get the cra started after 20 years (this is not all inclusive since it does not cover tire or brakes which you should check and probaly replace ASAP). Purchase and install a new battery. If the car has been in storage less than a year the battery may be rechargeable.
Change the oil and oil filter. Remove the spark plugs and squirt a small amount (a few tablespoons) of motor oil into each cylinder to pre-lubricate the engine. Take the car off the jack stands and add air (probably 32 PSI, but check your owner's manual) to all the tires.[/align]Change the fuel filter if the car has been in storage longer than three years. [/align]Drain the gas tank and add new fuel only if the car won't run. Replace the spark plug cables if the car has been in storage five or more years or if the cables look cracked and brittle. These are the absolutely necessary steps to drive it on the street safely. don't forget the registration. good luck and if you ever come to a price e-mail me I may be interested. aeligalam@yahoo.com[/align][/align]

Old 04-22-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, looks like a nice car. Good advice from dgeatdg. I may be interested as well, although Id need to change my login to got4ofem.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 PM

Hey thanks a lot for the info, that is exactly what we were looking to find out. (Also we are located in Minnesota in the Twin Cities area, not sure if you are anywhere nearby though.)

Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nice lookin car.you better buy a few fuel filters because it will probably have rust in the tank if its been sitting that long.pour some carb cleaner in that tank of gas also.it wont hurt to change all the fluids,alot of condensation has probably built up over the years

Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

20 years is a long time. Man1988. You really need to crawl around that car. Mice can put nest almost anywhere. You have nest in the air vent near the blower motor re-o-stat or some other bad place you will burn that that thing up.

I have been looking for a 74 4 speed for about 6 months. I have been watching ebay and local auction and sales. Its more of a wish for me to have a second Camaro. Anyway to make your car a dependable driver I would expect the car as you decribed will need most of the suspension bushings replaces the engine should be pulled and all gaskets and seal replaced. Check the clutch while your in there. I would rebuild the entire brake system. New lining, rebuild the calipers and wheel cylinders and replace all the flex lines. If you do not replace the steel lines make sure you do the stomp test.No way would I drive in its current state. I took out a vett one time that sat for ten years. I almost died in it. 3 calipers blow out. Luckly I had already replaced the park brake cable or I would have been squished.
Your belt most likely will not last more then a few hundred miles all the hose also, I can not imagine the tires are safe. Your U-joints are most likely froze in position. If you pull them a part clean them up they would be ok. If you drive it without cleaning them they will last less the a thousand miles.

4 Speed Hurst Transmission
You have a factory Hurst SHIFTER on a muncie 4 speed trans. You should varify the 12 bolt rear for when you put it up for sale.

Below is a couple of ebay auction I think one is still going on the other is ended. Your car is very low mileage but it has two things against it. One it has none of the external Z28 badges. That is totally possible in 74 but its hurt the value. Second the original paint was modified so it will need repainted. The type LT really does not effect the price that much from what I have seen. Although its pretty rare to see those seats in that nice a shape.

IMO in current as sitscondition the wholesale would be $6500-$8000 with the retail going more like $10,000-$12,000
A little bit elbow grease a few hundred in parts you could jumpup the retailto $14,000-16,000. Fully documented restoration and it would be Mid-High 20's. After saying that the market is very hard to predicted. I know where a 70 SS nova is sitting. It has 45K on it he spent about 15K restoring it and last time I looked he was down to 10.5K asking price. Collector Items take a hard hitwhen the economy has a down turn.This is just my opinion but it is not just based on Ebay.

Here is one that is restored but it is not the Type LT. The price seems high.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...Item#mainImage

Here is a unrestored TypeLT Z28 that did not sell
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM

Alright thanks guys, you've all helped out a lot. Now we just have to figure out what we're going to do.
Anyway, if anyone has any further opinions or information I'd love to hear it too.
Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Can't help you with the price but I may be able to help you with the starting part.
First see if the motor is siezed, and we will go from there.
Sly

Old 04-23-2008, 01:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The first thing I would do is see if the eng is frozen. let us know and we will go from there with the previous suggestions.
By the way I just took poss. of a 74 project, if anyone is interested.
Sly

Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

By the way I just took poss. of a 74 project, if anyone is interested.
Sly
You mean for sale?
Let me guess your on thewest coast.

Quick Reply: Help with 1974 Z28?