Heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Heat

Anyone know if I can still have heat if I remove the A/C housing from the fire wall? I plan on covering the heater core holes with aluminum. I know the blower motor is somewhere in there but I want to remover most of the clutter and I might be able to make my own enclosure for it. I might also be able to just re direct it back to the heater core. I need heat because this is my daily driver but i don't need that huge mess of the A/C housing because I don't use A/C and there is a radiator in there that I can easily get rid of. I don't have a diagram and it is still a little cold so I don't want to pull out the housing incase I brake it and need it again. If any one that has taken it out let me know what it looks like in there that would be exstreamaly helpfull. the only pictures I have of it are

Under the hood:
http://nastyz28.com/tech/heat-ac/ac-case2.jpg

Removed:
http://nastyz28.com/tech/heat-ac/acfirew.jpg

Pleas help me out guys and thanks in advance
-Zack

Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, removing it nukes your heat. That "radiator" is your AC dryer and that little cylindrical device (ac-case2.jpg) pointing to the front of the car is your blower motor. You can leave the heater core in there if you want but you won't have anything to blow the hot air out if you remove it.

I mean technically you would still have heat as heated coolant moves through the lines and into the heater core but you rely on your blower motor to put it through the vents.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Right that is what I figure but do you think it would be difficult to create a custom enclosure? If I sawzall everything except for the blower motor off how difficult would it be to pipe the air to the heater core?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

I removed mine and blocked it off with sheet metal that I used a muffler cutter. Once I had my box of I laid it on the metal, took a sharpie and made the outline of the original shape. Then just used the cutter to cut out the shape. Ground down the edges with a file to make it so I wouldn't cut my hands too bad. Then I cut little tabs at each of the major corners and bent them down to give it a lip and put a dynamat style insulation behind it and bolted it on. Also I marked the holes for all the bolt-ups and knocked them out with a drill. For the long holes I drilled a hole at each end and used the muffler cutter to cut between them. Picked up new stainless steel studs from the hardware store that would go back in with little problem and bolted everything back up. Took me a few hours to do but looks pretty decent and works well.

The only reason I did mine like that is when putting the engine back in after a rebuild the engine crane went out and dropped the engine about an inch and one of the valve covers crushed my enclosure and punched a fist sized hole through it. Going to fiberglass it back up (or find another one) in a few months when I redo the A/C and heater stuff.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by kyphur
I removed mine and blocked it off with sheet metal that I used a muffler cutter. Once I had my box of I laid it on the metal, took a sharpie and made the outline of the original shape. Then just used the cutter to cut out the shape. Ground down the edges with a file to make it so I wouldn't cut my hands too bad. Then I cut little tabs at each of the major corners and bent them down to give it a lip and put a dynamat style insulation behind it and bolted it on. Also I marked the holes for all the bolt-ups and knocked them out with a drill. For the long holes I drilled a hole at each end and used the muffler cutter to cut between them. Picked up new stainless steel studs from the hardware store that would go back in with little problem and bolted everything back up. Took me a few hours to do but looks pretty decent and works well.

The only reason I did mine like that is when putting the engine back in after a rebuild the engine crane went out and dropped the engine about an inch and one of the valve covers crushed my enclosure and punched a fist sized hole through it. Going to fiberglass it back up (or find another one) in a few months when I redo the A/C and heater stuff.

WOW that is a **** load of information! Thanks for all the help but I don't completely understand everything. You remade the enclosure out of sheet metal? My question is where does the blower motor push the air? i just want to take the A/C unit out cut everything away and leave the blower motor and the two switches will I have to pipe the air back over the heater core? or is blow into a space between the fire wall and then meats with the hater core? Really what I need is if you have pictures of what you did or where the blower motor blows the air and how it reaches the heater core.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well, I didn't make an enclosure, I made a heater delete panel. Also, that blower motor is up under your fender and is a PAIN to get out. I had to drop my inner fender to get it out and even then I had to wedge it out. I think you can remove the blower itself with four bolts/screws but I can't remember and it's late and I don't want to go out in the freezing cold in my jimmy shorts and tank top right now, ha ha. If I remember I'll take pics of the removed enclosure tomorrow and the heater delete panel.

There's two holes in the firewall if I remember correctly and that's not counting the heater core hoses. One is right behind the enclosure and you can see the heater core through the vacuum actuated door. The other hole is a round hole where the blower motor is and the secret VIN number. You can do a search on these forums and you'll see what I'm talking about with the VIN. Basically a second place that the VIN number is stamped on some cars. I didn't know about it till after I did all my work so I don't know if mine's there or not but I think there were some numbers there but I didn't pay detailed attention them. Anyway, back to the subject. The hole is for the blower to push back into vents if I'm correct.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok I so with your information I believe that if I remove everything except the blower motor and then put some insulation and a some sheet metal over the vacuum door I will still get heat. The blower motor blows the air into a space behind the fire wall and then it is carried over the heater core or diverted to the A/C radiator depending on what the controls are set to.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Also, a non A/C blower motor is different from the A/C one.
This is what you need to get: Camaro Heater Box

Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I am pretty shore I can make that or I will just buy on. What I do is I just pull out the A/C unit and then put this in it's place?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yep, that's what would be on the car if you didn't have air.
How much time are you going to spend making one? Maybe you do have good metal fabricating skills. Can you make one that looks nice, and not looking like a slap patch job once you're done? I know you're going for under hood looks, just something to consider.

Quick Reply: Heat