Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Default Headlight Question

Alright so I have a 1981 Camaro that i was restoring with my dad and we had a little problem with the head lights but we got them to work. But the other day i was driving it I had the head lights on and I shut off the car and then turned them off but when i went back to the car later on I tried turning them on and nothing happened. Then five mins later got pulled over but luckly the cop was cool and just said drive home safe

But we are clueless and what could be wrong. Does any one have any suggestions?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, sounds like the headlight switch, or relay.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM

thanks, I just bought a new dimmer switch the one on the floorboard. And it fixed my problem. But i have another question, I cant switch between hi and low beam. is that a common problem? do you guys have any suggestions

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

hahaha holy **** that happened to me when i first got my car. I had no idea there was the foot button for the high beams and i accidentally hit it one night after a movie. i had no idea what was going on with my headlights and i got pulled over by a lady cop with no title (left it at home on accident), no registration (wasn't registered yet), and no insurance (i bought the car like the same day). She was cool about it and told me to drive home safe. But for like a month i couldn't figure out why my headlights would work sometimes, and other times they wouldn't. One day i dropped my keys down there and found the button.

I put a new one in and presto...my lights worked. Make sure your wires are all connected correctly, and your bulbs aren't burnt out. Sometimes your lowbeams will burn out but your highbeams will still work.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Cesko81
thanks, I just bought a new dimmer switch the one on the floorboard. And it fixed my problem. But i have another question, I cant switch between hi and low beam. is that a common problem? do you guys have any suggestions
You've got the new dimmer, and now you can't switch between high and low? Does the new switch click, and have you got the factory plug on it? Sounds like it may have some wires swapped.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Overdrive Member

I'm 34 years old and have know about GMs floor dimmer as long as I can remember. I'm not ragging on ya but... wow. I think I used to play in my dads cars when I was a little dude, just pushing the button on the floor. I know I filled his tank with water for him once, lol...once!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:39 PM

i knew it was there and i tried using it, it just didnt work but i got a new one and put it in and it works now

Old 07-20-2011, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

yea well im 22 and before this one, my oldest car was an 88 trans am. If it works to my benefit, i was 20 when it all happened. Kind of embarrassing since my girl was with me when everything went down. oh well, you live and you learn...then apparently you get luvs...idk.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yeah i had the same problem first time i drove it to work... very confusing to me at first

Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Overdrive Member

I wasn't picking on you, I just thought it was funny. Only a little though. As far as getting embarrassed in front of your girl. Try asking her to push while you pop the clutch. AFTER doing the deed in the back seat on a two track. There isn't a word for how I felt. I also wound up pushing.

Quick Reply: Headlight Question