Got any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Default Got any advice?

I got a 78 camaroand i want to put a 454 if not bigger engine in it and i was wondering if you knew what type of transmission would be able to take that much horsepower and torque. i know i am gonna have to replace the rear axel and drive shaft as well as the torque converter.if you guys can give me some advice on what type of transmission if not any brands. this is my first time doing a project this big and any advice to not screw up will be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Got any advice?

i started out with a 350 ,ended up with a 400.the 350 was a basic rebuild with a shift kit,couldn't handle it.haven't had a problem since i put the 400 in it .i haven't had a problem with the rearend yet but that will probably be next.i'm not saying a 350 can't handle a big block but the one i had couldn't.i'm putting out about 450-500 hp

Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: bowtieguy

i started out with a 350 ,ended up with a 400.the 350 was a basic rebuild with a shift kit,couldn't handle it.haven't had a problem since i put the 400 in it .i haven't had a problem with the rearend yet but that will probably be next.i'm not saying a 350 can't handle a big block but the one i had couldn't.i'm putting out about 450-500 hp
cool i will look into it. thanks.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 AM
June 2007 ROTM

well the real question is how much hp are you going to have? 350 will handle but a 400 is real good for handling hp. as for the drive shalf u shld only have to change that if its not the correct lengh. The alxes I wldnt touch unless u have 1000hp.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you go with the 400 turbo you will have to have a new shaft made,it's around 4" shorter.if you use the 350 crossmember you will have to move it back and redrill the frame.the shifter cable will hook back up with a little cutting and grinding.i went to a salvage yard and found a driveshaft the same diameter as the factory camaro shaft and the u-joint cap diameter,it dosen't matter about the length because you will be cutting it down.you will need to find a yoke that fits a 400.i paid 100 dollars to have it cut down,balanced and two new u-joints

Old 11-02-2007, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: bowtieguy

if you go with the 400 turbo you will have to have a new shaft made,it's around 4" shorter.if you use the 350 crossmember you will have to move it back and redrill the frame.the shifter cable will hook back up with a little cutting and grinding.i went to a salvage yard and found a driveshaft the same diameter as the factory camaro shaft and the u-joint cap diameter,it dosen't matter about the length because you will be cutting it down.you will need to find a yoke that fits a 400.i paid 100 dollars to have it cut down,balanced and two new u-joints
i think i will go with the 400. just in case i want to add more horsepower to it. where would i go to get the drive shaft shortened and balanced and all that?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i dont know where your from,but here in arkansas ,we have a place called superior spring.they work on big trucks,make leaf springs,coil springs ,rebuild big truck rearends,tranny's and they build driveshafts.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

What exactly are you going to be doing with the car? An engine that size will probably knock down the handling and braking (some) unless you put in support to help with the handling.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: kyphur

What exactly are you going to be doing with the car? An engine that size will probably knock down the handling and braking (some) unless you put in support to help with the handling.
At the moment its the only car i got but i plan on using it as a cruiser and i intend on racing it too. but when i get another car to drive around i will pretty much use the camaro for raceing and show.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

Cool, a friend of mine replaced his stock (and dying) 350 in a 72 back when I was a teenager and said that it sacrificed the handling. I never drove it before that but the few times I did afterwards I still thought it was a badass car. I want to say that he went back to a 396 small block after though it could've been a 350 but I don't remember but that was a lot later and after I moved over 300+ miles away.

Quick Reply: Got any advice?