getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I just recently bought the Summit leaf springs for the back of my '71 and they're a great product! I run Monroe air shocks with mine and use the dual feed kit to adjust the shocks for proper stance and preload. I replaced my Monroes recently with a new set after having the old ones on for 35 yrs. Just figured it was time, but they were still working good.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Cool beans man. Are they standard springs or lowered springs? Most of the stuff I've bought that are Summit brand hasn't impressed me much at all or I have to modify it to get it to work.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Duel feed kit? Sorry would you mind explaining a bit about the air shocks, as ya'll know im a noob with no prior buying, equiping, using experience for most of the stuff i've been doing lol i thought that my intake and vavle covers would come with everything to put em on lol im dumb. So now i've had the intake and vavle covers for a week, and from another order got my intake gaskests yesterday and my vc gaskets tomorrow also tomorrow i'll be getting the plugs i need for the intake, my aluminum high flow water pump, maybe the traction bars which i won't put on till i get the new springs on.
Okay so on top of air shock explaination help.
Intake bolts? replace or reuse the stock ones?
Water pump anything inportant i need to know about changing it out?
and as always thank you all for the help and input lol this site and your guys help definitely have gotten me this far in my build.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Either or on the intake bolts. The old ones will work but new ones are pretty.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear member

I can make the old ones pretty too with a little spit and wire wheel lol. But I got all my stuff today, my intake has so many holes to plug, rear water outlets, nitrous boss im presuming thats the hole on the top by the main opening and 2 front water openings lol i have no clue if im presuming right cause the instructions don't say whats what, just that plugs will be needed. But man oh man i can't wait for saturday to get here so i can put it all on and make her purdy XD it'll be so shiney even my girlfriend will be staring lol she likes shiney things. I wonder how much more power i'll be getting from all this wish i could dyno it sometime that'd be sweet.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Overdrive Member

I doubt the nitrous bosses are pre drilled. The four corners are for water. The one close to the carb flange is a port for your brake booster. That one can be tricky. If you have a holley on a edlebrock intake. The rear bowl usually hangs over the hole but you can do it. What is on there now? If its a stock intake you may need to modify the throttle linkage bracket. Or a cheap chrome on from the parts store will fix it. All part of the fun a completely normal. You gonna find time to get to get shipping for me? I was thinking if your in the sticks a prepaid box from the post office might be easier.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah its all stock i was thinking that linkage is kinda big lol i've got to go to the parts store tomorrow anyways since the girlfriend made sure it didn't happen tonight but anyways yeah wyoming is nothing but sticks and rocks i was thinking of trying one of those flat rate boxes the usps has now so ill get it out monday

Old 10-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Overdrive Member

I wish I were more in the sticks. Its a blend of city and country life here.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear member

lol i've always been from the sticks, from a town of less then a 100 in the oklahoma panhandle, to living on a farm in east oklahoma, to wyoming which is basically as bad cause well its just different lol. But oh well i just get tired of having to spend so much on gas to drive 20 minutes to town for work ect.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Overdrive Member

Sounds nice to me, really. My dad has property north of us and he said he'd give me 5 acers in the front to build on if I want. That's at least 45 min from work in my 11 mile to the gallon pickup. Maybe when I can better afford it.

Quick Reply: getting on the road