getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Got the wheel studs changed today, it was 42 degrees out when I went for the parts and like 30 when I got done so I missed out on a warm drive so I'll do that tomorrow maybe to finish testing it out.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear member

And the suggestions and help was great guys made things easy, thanks for everything.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes, those are what I call a 'Star Wrench". The front rotors come off by pulling the caliper bolts (2) and then dropping the caliper. After that simply pull the spindle nut and drop out the bearing and rotor. When it goes back tighten the nut slightly against the bearing washer, then back it off just enough to line up the hole for cotter pin. Roller bearings should not be too tight!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Don't forget the dust cap. Thats where the nut is hiding.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Cool thanks for the imfo, think I'm gonna wait on the front one till I change the brakes sometime in the future. Hoping tomorrow it'll be nice out so I can drive the camaro to church and let my youth pastor try it out to see what he thinks.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:54 AM
2nd Gear member

Well I drove the camaro around today love it and the wheel didn't fall off!!! that's always good right, lol took the torque wrench with me and checked them like 5 times.

My youth pastor didn't get to drive it though so I'm still not sure about how I've got it running.

Seems pretty loud getting around and over 3 grand in the lower gears, and since I've not got alot of experience I'm not sure if it's a normal loud or bad loud or if it's just the rv cam, and to be honest I didn't take it past 4 grand the entire day, I didn't wanna blow it if I don't have it right.

This is my first car with a tac so I still really don't know when to shift up or down yet I've just been going by feeling, the engine is a 70' 350, RV cam, camel hump heads, edelbrock 750 carb which I need to tune think it's lean right now but that was the other engine settings so I'm gonna retune, edelbrock RPM air gap intake which I believe the operating range is 1500 to 6500 rpm, stock HEI distributor, high flow aluminum water pump, Think thats all.

I've got it iddling about 900-1000 rpm warm, once I retune the carb I'll get that down to about 750rpm should be good?
idk with that imfo if you guys can help but ball park is good for me, around what rpm should I be up/down shifting? what should redline be for this engine on upside and downside as a guess?

And what gear speeds should be possible with this kind of modded engine? the speedo works but I still need to change the driver gear It's set a little slow but today I was going like 45 at 3 grand in second gear is that normal or is my speedo lying to me? I don't think it's off by more then 5 mph on either side but for my diesel scout 45mph is at the beginning of 4th gear and tops at 60 mph but then again my turbo diesel scout was rating at 110 horsepower from the factory so it's probably around 90 horsepower being worn out like it is. This power difference is just blowing my mind I think.

Last edited by james hellsing; 02-14-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like your speedo is off alright. As for when to shift, that depends on what you're doing. It's not the same just cruising through town as it is going on a freeway on ramp, or going down the drag strip.
I generally shift pretty early just cruising, and often as low as 2,500 rpm, but if I'm headed down the on ramp I run the first couple geras up toward 3,500-4,000 rpm's. and then short shift when I reach freeway speed.
Running down the drag strip most people run right up to their engine's max rpm's and have a shift light to give them a visual signal without having to watch the tach.
I think once you're used to the engine and car you'll shift at a point that just sounds right to your ear. I never look at my tach unless I'm curious how fast the engine is turning.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM
2nd Gear member

okay thanks, I'm not gonna take my car on the interstate till I get everything fixed like the speedo so it's just town cruising for now. Yesterday I was shifting between 2000-3000 so I guess I'm about there just gotta get some more experience in with it.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I drove the car to youth tonight and had my youth pastor drive it, He liked it said it sounded good, drove great with the traction bars, and is way better then the old set up. We noticed around 2000-2500rpm when mashing it it kinda boggs out a bit then once you get past there it's normal but when just easy going driving it doesn't do it.
Thinking about it on the way home I thought I'd try richening up the carb since I've got it lean and making sure the choke is fully open since my manual choke setup is kinda crappy do you guys think that will help or is it just the intake?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Overdrive Member

How do you know its lean? Plugs? I was gonna say accelerator pump but then I remembered your carb is newer. Yeah dial the timing and mixture in. Should take care of it.

Quick Reply: getting on the road