getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear member

Okay for the clutch flywheel etc. I'm not getting em cause I got no money since christmas presents took it all lol. First time I've actually had to buy a bunch and $400 flew by quick.

For selling the car it's nothing related to havings issues with it, I love the car (cept when I have to work on it lol. Then it's a love/hate relationship and which when it's easy I enjoy learning how to fix it and when it's a b!tc& it's just lessons that will be remembered next time I have to work on one) I'm selling it sometime in spring or summer but that's only if someone will pay my price for it. The only reason I'm selling is because I want a 70 to 73 and there's a regular flow of em on craigslist for not much dough. So it's not like it's gonna be my last camaro I'm just gonna be moving onto better things lol.

And as for a gear head family I grew up around cars.
I grew up in cherokee oklahoma town of maybe 150, my dad worked at the ford dealership and we had scouts forever. My dad's buisness of buying and selling scouts and international vehicles and parts so I grew up in a garage.
First time I took my girlfriend for a ride in my camaro she started coughing so I asked what was wrong and apparently my car exhaust stank and was a bit much for her being a california girl used to "clean" exhaust cars, where as I grew up around gas sucking scouts so that smell came naturally to me.
My dad's kinda alone in his love for scouts although I drive and maintain a 80 turbo diesel "his" in summertime which is the only time it'll start since the glow plugs suck and don't work that great.
My brother had mach 1 mustang, believe it was a 70' which he sold to a rich brat for her sweet 16 but that funded his 98 GT which he blew the engine in but that was replaced by a better bullit edition mustang engine and now it sits at my family residence in oklahoma with a broken windshield, bad tranny and electrical due to mice.

So I have grown up around car's but up untill the past couple of years I just had no interest in them since I was a professional gamer and yeah let's just say I didn't get alot of sunlight back then lol.
And my dad would help me but he works for the railroad and he's on call 24/7 but if I need help I talk to him or my youth pastor (ex 66 fairlane owner) and you guy's are my tech support I can handle the work It's just alot of the time I'm clueless on some of the stuff lol.

But I'm gonna get there I've got a tranny to fix, a motor to put in, gotta finish up my body work and paint when it's warmer, I was gonna paint it a nice candy apple or sour apple whatever that green color they have on the new camaros is. But with me selling it I think I'm gonna go with black since that should sell better so the green will wait for my 70 to 73 camaro but when I'm done with this 79 it's gonna be slick either way.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Overdrive Member

Ahh, I stand corrected. Still not getting much hands on help though. My dad had a few Scouts too. I still have a soft spot for the Hugger Orange one that was lifted. We saw it for sale down the road from his house, but it was beat down and we didn't have the room or money for another project.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:25 AM
2nd Gear member

lol yeah theres alot of em around, only ones I really like is the hurst shawnee scout and the SSII's. My dad used to have an SSII, sold it to a collector though.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

From the desireability point of view, the early 2nd gens are a great choice, and I'm sure partial to them! But all the 2nd gens are coming into their own, and finally getting attention they deserved for so long.
I think you're headed in the right direction by working your way towards a new vehicle doing repairs and fipping them to get where you want to be. Just don't spend so much that you end upside down in it. Better to sell and save for another, than to sell and lose money towards another.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah when I bought my 79 it was the first one I had saw and I loved it. I've never really liked the first gens or 3rds and I love muscle cars, originally I was getting a 69 gto but it got sold before I could get it. But I like the 70 to 73 camaro style better now, I think it has more of that muscle car look even though their classified as pony cars. but for not putting alot more money into it that's what im trying to do, interior isn't the best and I wanted to get seats but since i'm gonna try and sell it I'm just gonna get covers for em.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 AM
2nd Gear member

Didn't get much done today, took about half and inch of grease off my tranny and bell housing then unhooked the tranny. Tommorrow I'll finish cleaning, then fix the tranny or remove the clutch and that stuff or both, clean up both engines and maybe dig into my busted a$$ engine to see what went wrong. It's gonna be fun either way! been taking pics so tommorrow I"ll show some progress maybe.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear member

I started about 2 today on the tranny.
First thing I figured I'd do was replace the seals around the shifter bosses in the side cover since they had been leaking.
Seemed easy enough as I was taking the cover off, I wanted to make sure that the shifting forks stayed inplace that way I wouldn't have to worry about trying to figure out which way to put them back in since they wear to the way they are placed and need to go back in the same way. So I pushed on the bolts so that I was just pulling off the cover, at the time I was unaware of by doing that, that I would be letting loose a ball that dropped somewhere into the main case.
At that point of pulling the cover and hearing something falling I'm like oh **** it's all over now, I flipped the cover to examine it and the shifter fork holder things to see what I just lost, I found that on the back side of the side cover between the two holes for the shifter fork holders there is a horseshoe shaped thing that holds a tube, inside that tube is a spring and on either side of that spring is a ball that when everything is together sits between the spring and one of the three positions of the shifter fork holder.

So I was regretting the choice to replace those seals at that point, I found the ball, rolled the tranny over and got it out then sat all the parts aside for the time being.
The old seals were reluctent to come out of their home that they had occupied for the past 30 years but with the help of my friend the screwdriver I got then out, new ones went in great, pushed them inplace then tapped them in with the plastic handle of a hammer.

Next was the tail housing, first was the pin holding in the reverse shifter boss that was farely easy, once that was out I put the nut back on grabbed a pry bar to use the split foot end and pulled it out.
Then it was time to remove the speedomiter driven gear and it's housing after that was the bolts holding the tail housing to the main case and then popped it off with the screwdriver then it was just manipulating the reverse boot and main shaft to get it off.

Everything went pretty smoothly, once the tail housing was off it was time to change the speedo drive gear and as I suspected it was the culprit of not having a working speedomiter.
The teeth were worn substantially in the middle were it contacts the driven gear, for this I wanted my dads help since this would suck with one person and out of our 8 pc. Snap on snap ring plier set of course we didn't have the right kind but we got it off eventually put the new gear on and reinstalled the snap ring. Then he helped me put in the rear output seal and it was back to my one man show putting it all back together.
I did the same steps of taking it off in reverse applied the new gasket and bolted it on.

Now it was time for the part that earlier had worried me, but at this point everything was going so well I had never been so confident in my transmission building abilities.
I put the forks back in the way I removed them put one fork holder boss in place, put the tube, spring, ball combo inplace slid in the other fork holder and tried out its shifting capabilities it worked! then the gasket went on then it was lining up the forks with their holders and bolting the side cover on then once it was bolted tight it was the moment of truth I tried the shifter bosses they all shift.

Of course I won't know for sure if it all works till it's in the camaro and I try it out but I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, I've learned alot and my tranny seems alot less complicated now I would even say today was fun.

Last edited by james hellsing; 12-29-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Hey where did you get your gaskets from? Mine has a bit of a drip.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Overdrive Member

The spring deal is called a detent BTW.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear member

Here are the picture I took along the way.

Name:  DSCN0818.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  61.0 KB
This was after I spent to hours cleaning it I decided it was good enough.

Name:  DSCN0820.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  41.9 KB
This is after I removed the side cover.

Name:  DSCN0822.jpg
Size:  31.8 KB
here are the seals I replaced.

Name:  DSCN0825-1.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  46.9 KB
here is removing the tail housing.

Name:  DSCN0831.jpg
Size:  42.8 KB
Inside the tail housing with the new seal installed.

Name:  DSCN0829.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  35.0 KB
Main shaft with new speedo drive gear.

Name:  DSCN0832.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  98.7 KB
And the shifter fork holder things and the ball tube combo in the middle.

Quick Reply: getting on the road