getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah I got him to think about it earlier and quit complaining he's getting moody with his age I guess, But I'm moving right along got most of the litle stuff outta the way today. I've decided I want to take it nice and slow and make sure I do it right, got the exhaust, drive shaft, power steering (freggin hoses were so old and brittle I broke one trying to get it outta the way), and some other stuff off and outta the way. Right now I'm on removing the shifter linkege and this is one place I want to make sure I do it right, I've read my manual for the steps to do it (pretty much just confused the hell outta me though) so thats on the agenda for tomorrow but before I started I wanted to ask if there is any tips and best ways on how to do it?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Before you get too far, be sure to take pictures of anything that might be questioned when it goes back together! That way you can look to see how it was if you don't remember! Marking hoses or wires with masking tape and lettering where they go helps me if I'm unsure.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear member

That's something I usually do too, yesterday my battery was dead though so I let it charge over night so today I can document things.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright I've got the motor/tranny out and on my little homade wooden roller (thing doesn't roll very well with all the weight next time I'll have to use larger wheels) that's all for today, I'm just taking things easy on this job. Tomorrow I'll clean em up and maybe unhook the tranny, not sure how to do that yet but I'll check my shop manual on the steps to get it done.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like a good day's work James! The tranny is super easy! Just four bolts and it pulls out of the bellhousing.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Cool 4 bolts sounds good to me thanks, so after I remove the tranny and then the bell housing do I remove the pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel as one? or do I have to take em off individually?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:00 AM
Overdrive Member

Pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel. The clutch is sandwiched between them, no bolts. Then the flywheel is bolted to the crank.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear member

So I'll be taking off the pressure plate and clutch to get to the flywheel bolts? or can I get to them without removing the other 2?

Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

No, you have to take the pressure plate off first. The clutch will fall out with it, and then unbolt the flywheel. Be sure to have a pilot shaft to align the clutch when you reinstall later, or you'll never get the tranny back in.
If there's any sign of heat on the flywheel, you'll need to have it resurfaced before reinstalling it. Good idea to install a new clutch and pressure plate at this time too, as it would be a pain to do after it's all back in the car.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally I had planned on putting in a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate but since I plan on selling later I decided not to. And that's not even an option now cause christmas has killed my bank account and now i'm broke, I think the only thing I have left to buy is the rear output seal and the alignment tool for the clutch hopefully my dad will get those for me otherwise I'll have to wait.

Quick Reply: getting on the road