getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Another question is pcv needed to make my engine run properly? or just for emisions control?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by james hellsing
Another question is pcv needed to make my engine run properly? or just for emisions control?
The best answer is "both". You need to ventilate the crankcase for better performance and to keep the engine from blowing out a seal. That can just be breathers, but then the oily smoke from your crankcase will leave a film all over your nice clean engine compartment. A PVC keeps that out of the air and burns it by returning it to your intake to mix with intake air/fuel mixture.
Racers use a breather that has a hose on it which connects to their headers. The headers scavenge crankcase pressure to literally pull the pressure out creating a negative pressure, which helps make a tiny bit of HP.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 AM
2nd Gear member

cool thanks for the imfo i'll have to look into what I want to do with mine since with the new parts I was just using a breather

Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Okay so if all goes well I'll begin pulling the engine tomorrow, My speedo drive gear should get here wednesday and the rest of my gaskets for intake, headers, and water pump should get here sometime this week.
When I bought the speedo drive gear I forgot I'll need a new gasket for the tail shaft too and since I still need to get the rear seal I thought this seems like a good pack to get http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...30/3553484.htm.

But as far replacing the drive gear and seal I'm lost. My chilton manual is useless for this, it goes over the clutch and thats about it. have any of you guys done the speedo gear drive replacement before? and the seal? I really don't know what to expect, any good books or sites I should check out? My tranny is a borg warner super T10.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Just found this site for taking apart the super T10 http://www.stingray75.nl/index.php?o...d=20&Itemid=49 it's pretty scary how complex this looks like it might be, I'm not really sure how much of that I need to do just to get the tail shaft off though.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Overdrive Member

Truthfully, I'm scared of mine too.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

James, you don't need a tailshaft gasket at all! Just pull the little bolt next to the speedo drive and the retainer will come off. Then just pull the gear assembly out and swap gears. Reassembly is the reverse. It's super simple, and the same for a stick or automatic.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
2nd Gear member

Hmmm I think your talking about the little (driven gear) easy one Val. I already checked that one that comes out the side of the tranny. It was fine, the teeth looked good, and I even spun the cable with that small gear attached and the speedomiter pinged up so my small driven gear, cable, and speedomiter works so the only thing that's left is the larger drive gear that's inside the tailshaft on the main shaft.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright so my dad came home today and started complaining about how I shouldn't pull the tranny at all, my manual says to pull them both as one and you guys did as well, is it even possible to pull the engine without the tranny it just seems like it'll be alot easier if I pull em both and hook up the new motor outside of the engine bay.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You'll never get the input shaft on the tranny to match up to the crank when you go back together if you leave it in and pull the engine separately. If it was a automatic it would be a cinch, but not a stick.
You could pull it without the tranny, and then pull the tranny afterwards and install it on the new engine, then put them back as a unit.

Quick Reply: getting on the road