getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Oops! Almost forgot! You really should pull the oil pan too! You can often loosen it enough to pry the timing cover off, but it rarely ever seals correctly afterwards. Best to pull it before the timing cover for best results.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:36 AM
2nd Gear member

Alright thanks man I'll try that when I get it pulled out of the 79.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright it's been warm in the upper 30's for like 2 weeks and I talked my dad into letting me use the garage, so I'm gonna try to get my engine pulled out of the camaro. I still don't have a hoist or stand so I'll be using my hand chain hoist and just have to roll the camaro back to get the engine out. Could you guy's give me a few hint's and tips on how to do this pull? it's gonna be my first I'll be refering to my manual also but you guy's are always far more helpful. what is easiest? pulling it with or without the headers and for going back in? I had hell getting some of the bolts tight on those from lack of space so I'd love it if I could install the headers on the engine before drop in but idk if thats possible.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Overdrive Member

Unbolt your headers and leave them hooked to the tail pipes. I would first look at getting the torque converter first. If the engine is locked up this won't be fun. As for other tips. Unbolt the fuel and power steering pumps from the motor and leave the lines still hooked up. Its less messy that way. Pull the rad hoses off the block side only and tuck them back out of the way and be sure to drain it first. I'm sure others will chime in with their little tricks.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If you can't get the torque converter bolts off, you could pull the engine with the converter still hooked to the flywheel, then remove it once it's out. Might get a little messy with dripping trans fluid, but it will work.
I've pulled many engines before I had a cherry picker using a hoist. I sometimes wish I had a hoist instead of a cherry picker because it's often easier. Just bring the engine up gradually and as it clears the mounts start rolling it back, then once it gets near the core support stop and bring it up some more.
Of course you'll need the radiator and fan pulled out before even starting to raise the engine.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright thanks for the tips guys, but for the torque converter I'm lost lol sorry I dumb lol but I thought you guys said to pull the engine and tranny as one since it's a 4 speed so wouldn't that mean not touching the torque converter? but so far here's whats done, the fan is off and the rad is out that's all I did before I parked it.
As for my new motor we got it from a family friend, it's a 350 with an RV cam and camel hump heads Idk anything about it other then that I'm gonna talk to the guy and see what he can tell me about the cam and heads and I'll check the block numbers for year.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Overdrive Member

Oh yeah its a stick. I forgot. Pull the tranny first, then you can take the clutch assembly off after its out.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 PM
2nd Gear member

okay so I'll be pulling the tranny and engine as one right?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yea, you can pull them as one. I forgot it was a stick too.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
2nd Gear member

Alright cool, so I found out my replacement motor has 2.02 camel hump heads and he said it has an RV cam and that the valves are open for a shorter duration at an advanced timing.
But I have no clue what that means for how to time it lol ah it's times like these that bring out the feeling dumb in me, I'm gonna have to reread the chp camshaft article again to try to figure camshafts out.
But I did get the speedo gear drive ordered last night payed extra for ups so hopefully it'll get here soon since monday is when I'm gonna start working on the pull.

Quick Reply: getting on the road