getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear member

lol you know how you said be ready for that tow? well yeah lol that was today. I drove it to check it out had about 15 oil psi so I was like yeah an improvement! still had the nock but I figured it would be fine ha I was wrong Name:  DSCN0728.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  30.5 KB
I think a push rod maybe? it used to have a cylindrical thing through the hole looked like a lifter but that either fell out or went back up in during the tow back home which I was lucky only about 5 miles down the road when she blew

Last edited by james hellsing; 10-21-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:55 PM
2nd Gear member

But on another note the springs that I ordered from summit I cancelled since they were back ordered and supposed to ship the 12th, then the 20th, then the 29th, but I got tired of that. So right now my rear suspension Is still saggy I was going to put on my air shocks and trac bars today but didn't get to it before my eventful test drive.
But I was looking at my springs earlier, Okay so say +15 degrees would be the stock arch, and 0 would be flat, well as my leaf springs sit their arch is maybe -2 lol. Ya'll think that air shocks will be enough to amend that or will I still be needing new springs?

Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Overdrive Member

Umm I don't think you should be worrying about springs. I guess the was hammering. Wow, connecting rod I'm guessing. Well now its time for the autopsy. I keep forgetting to drop a check in the mail for you, I'm sorry truly. My life has been all work and school. I am usually doing homework at the same time I post here.

I was gonna say that I did some looking around and man I was way off on your timing. 12* at idle was a good place to start. For what its worth a new pump would'nt have stopped that from happening. That was a time bomb for sure.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 AM
2nd Gear member

I'm not to worried about it man, get the check out when you have the time it's not that big of a deal to me.
I had it at 6* btdc cause thats what my manual said but it doesn't really matter now, I don't really know what was the cause, it was a good running motor with no nock or tick before I swapped the intake, water pump, carb and valve covers. Just to much to soon I guess that mixed with retiming not knowing where to set it made for a bad combination.
I don't think it was a connecting rod, though I wish I could have taken a pic before towing cause what knocked the hole in the pan looked like a lifter it was sticking through the pan, but by the time I got it towed home that had either fallen out or went back up in.
This is just toping off all my possesions that hate me lol
In the past 6 months my 30 gig zune(mp3 player) stopped working, my xbox tried commiting suicide twice, first the disk tray stopped reading disk, and the second time just last week the screen decided to scramble, and today my engine blew. Oh well onto better and brighter things I guess lol I thought this thread was about to be done with, since I thought I'd have the car ready but it's not gonna die yet I guess now it will be onto rebuilding questions!.

Sometime I'll get a cherry picker, might just rent one and an engine stand. Get it pulled and striped, see if anythings any good and get a 400sbc they're supposed to make awsome torque right? and their not that rare up here I can find em cheap in my tri-state craigslist shopping zone. Then rebuild the 400 swap my shiney new stuff over and either sell or keep the 350 depending on its state

Last edited by james hellsing; 10-22-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 AM
2nd Gear member

Oh but I did get my center console in today and installed, pretty nice to have an arm rest now not that I'll be using it for awhile but still I like it.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:26 AM
2nd Gear member

And since my engine will be out in the future, I'll be working on the suspension since my controll arm bushings are basically gone and they need replaced along with some other stuff like that

Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Overdrive Member

LOL Way to keep your head up. If you spit a lifter out the bottom I have GOT to see the inside the the engine. Its a pretty hard path for a lifter to take.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear member

I know thats what I've been thinking, but I couldn't think of anything else about that size that looked like that lol that why I wanna pull it to see just how bad the inside is

Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

If there's a harbor freight anywhere near you, you can probably buy an engine stand/engine hoist for what the rental fees on them would cost in a couple of weeks.
Sorry to hear about the motor, that's really a bummer.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Well I wouldn't rent it the hoist for more then a day but the stand I'm just gonna be buying but harber freight is probably an eastern thing there aren't any that I know of in oklahoma and wyoming is desolate so thats a no here too lol but oriellys has em and maybe menards

Quick Reply: getting on the road