Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Overdrive Member

Read my other post.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:37 AM
2nd Gear member

which one

Old 10-12-2010, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear member

Okay, from what I know, think, assume the dist is in correct I did like the box wrench video showed and pointed it towards #1 on tdc.
Wiring order is good I've rechecked it but one wire could be the problem cause there's a burn on it but it doesn't go to the wire so I should probably verify it's fine with a tester but I didn't bother cause my dad said it was fine, how do I check for spark? with a 12 volt tester?
float level and mixture idk about, when I first put it on the float was stuck on the drivers side cause fuel was coming out the booster just tapped on it and it unstuck.
What plugs? spark plugs? or one on the carb?
"Do one from the four corners and post us up some really clear pics" what do you mean by this?

sorry if I ask to many questions, my manual doesn't cover trouble shooting and my dad doesn't have the time or willingness to help, I think the problem is in timming because when I found tdc on #1 I felt alot of air push out but when I set it for timming I rotated the crank and had my dad feel for the air and he said he didn't feel much but decided it was where it needed to be, so tomorrow I'm gonna pull #1 and recheck for tdc and see if it's where it needs to be among rechecking other things and I'll throw up some pics of some stuff

Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Overdrive Member

Ok. Never too many questions, you hooked me up in a big way and I'll help you the best I can. You have spark, it runs. If you were looking to see if it did have spark there are a few ways to do it but all are pretty much the same concept. You can pull a wire and shove the end of a screwdriver down in the boot and holding the HANDLE of the screwdriver have someone crank it over while you move the screwdriver close to something metal under the hood. All while still making sure the end is stuck in the boot. Like I said your runnin so you have spark.

The float sticking can be a big problem. It should NEVER hang up. The Edelbrock web site should have a video or something about tuning the carb for start up. This has to be done or you'll have drivability issues for ever.

Yes I want you to pull at least one spark plug and post a good clear pic so we can see the color and if its wet. Preferably snap a pic as soon as its out right after running. Remember what cylinder it can out of too. I like #1 its easy to get to and will lead to the next step.

Unplug the dizzy. With the plug out tap the ignition with your finger over the hole not his, its your car and your the one trying to learn. Dad can stay in the house make your GF do it or a buddy. Offer food and beverages, they'll come. Compression will pop your finger off the hole. While your doing thins pay attention to where the timing mark is on the balancer. light tap one the key until the timing mak is starting to get to the 0 mark. Don't pass it. If you do come back around. Its a four stroke so the next it passes will be exhaust and the one after that is compression again. Keep your finger on the hole and watch the balancer you'll see and feel what I'm talking about. If you get within a couple degrees of the 0 mark move it the rest of the way by hand. (easier) Now your right at TDC.

Pull your dizzy cap and see where the rotor is pointing. Should be right at or JUST before #1. If its anywhere else your a tooth or more off. (tooth means dizzy gear teeth) I would do this before touching the carb. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear member

okay thank's for all your help man it's been extremely helpful along with everyone else's help and input, I sincerely apreciate it.
Well the thing is I do school till about 12, then I work on the car so everyone's still in school pretty mutch, I might look into a remote starter for this when I go to get my fan spacer tonight but for right now I'll have to rench it over but like you said with it being exhuast after compression, well I had it at tdc cause my finger came off from air, then I had my dad come out to confirm and the next pass he felt little air but said it was there so anyways, I'll go start it after school then pull the plugs make a chart of their condition so I don't have to remember and I'll snap picks best I can.
Then I'll check tdc and timming marks, as for the carb it comes factory set up and set up for this specific intake, the dvd didn't do any tunning till start up once on and idling tune the mixture screws for the left and right side then the base idle, when I do mess with the mixture tunning it seems to effect smoke emmissions through the valve covers.
And I just thought of something this morning this probably isn't the problem I still think it's timming but in higher rpm's isn't the distributor supposed to advance the curve to make sure it fires just before tdc at higher rpm's? I was thinking that could be a possibility for why it sputters around at 3500 with the full throttle so if after everything else I'm gonna try doesn't effect it i thought that might be something.
Oh and for checking for spark from a wire can't I also use an old spark plug? I've done that with mowers before.

Last edited by james hellsing; 10-12-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Overdrive Member

yes on the plug. You can make a starter button like you are talking about. They are a nice piece to have, very helpful. Look at the springs and weights on the dizzy, make sure there there and clean and move freely. I don't know how old your dizzy is but a quick check with a vac pump can verify if it is working.

I didn't say wrench it, lol. i said turn it by hand. Some guys are fire belivers that the balancer bolt can be used for that. I say they've never had to drill a broken one out like I have. If its within a few degrees from 0 both hands on the bottom pulley should move it enough. Well I'm off to work.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear member

But turning it by hand with my other hand checking for the air doesn't work, and neither does bumbing the starter and checking for air my arms aren't that long, lol remember I'm alone on this one my parents are gone so I decided todays school would be shop class XD, but if I have to wait for help that will be the weekend, tonight my gf's got a volleyball game I have to get to, the rest of the week is basically booked and I have to get this done as soon as I can, cause I have to get my "piece of crap chevy" out of my dads garage so if it starts snowing he can put our 4x4 vehicles in the garage so the snow doesn't hurt them, makes sense to put the 4x4s in the garage huh but if it doesn't get done before I have to put it outside then it probably won't get fixed till next year so yeah lol. But I pulled all the plugs I'll post pics now then go back out and check for timming issues best i can.

Last edited by james hellsing; 10-12-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear member

#1Name:  1.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  8.8 KB

Old 10-12-2010, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear member

#3Name:  3.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  9.7 KB

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear member