getting on the road

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Overdrive Member

Well I've seen them all over the place in price, but if its in good shape and a four speed grab it up. Really four speeds are hard as heck to find in anything but black. I seen a black auto spray canned for 100 plus shipping yesterday on nasty if that helps. I wouldn't call it a steal and I wouldn't call it robbery either. I'll be tossing a check in the mail for you tomorrow by the way. So that will offset your cost and what are ya doing with your old console, huh? huh?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM
2nd Gear member

"If" I had an old consol I would paint it black and leave it in lol but alas, poor yorick has not a center consol to paint. lol to me its not an absolute need or want, but I just think it'll be nice to have, so i've been looking. I got the engine stuff done for now, springs and shocks on the way, and interior slowly along the way, which I should see if I can change the stock shift bar and *** for my hurst one, I have no clue what it fits other then its manual, but the bar should interchange and if not the *** will.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Overdrive Member

**** yes stick no. The ITM (stock) shifter has a set screw in the side, the husrt uses 2 bolts. Too bad about the console. I take it your car is back to tire fryin status? How does the intake and headers feel?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 AM
2nd Gear member

its ready to run but i haven't driven it yet i have to take the belts i got for the alternator and psp back and get them to give me ones that actually fit then it'll be all set i'll probably just put the old one on and drive it tomorrow though, but for how it feels idk but im liking it starting right up now that the quadra junk with the crappy choke is off and the edelbrock is tunned up

Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Overdrive Member

Its best to take the ones that worked and get some the same/slightly smaller. You'll always come home with the right one.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 AM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, I took my old ones with me they only had 3 to choose from but they were all the same. So I'll either get em to let me go in the back and just find some or I'll go to napa. I like o'riellys for it being cheaper but at napa I never have to wait in line and they tend to have more.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Overdrive Member

The difference is Napa is not a discount parts store. IE; better parts cost more. O'riellys, Autozone, and Advance are discount stores and their parts reflect it. I'm not sayin I don't have a ton of Autozone parts on my truck. They have a points system where you can get free stuff so I go there alot. I was just explaining why Napa is higher.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Cool I wish there was an autozone here.
Alright a great day of me finnally getting to drive my car turned sour really quik, so yesterday I timed my car and it was running good i didn't drive it though, but today when I got it out it wasn't running the greatest I had trouble keeping it going I figured it was just not heated up so I waited a bit and I wound up having to mess with the idle and to top it off it was smoking some out the back pipes and out of the valve cover breather!?! is that just the new stuff breaking in or what? it didn't do it before out the breather the exhaust has always smoked a little but when I took it on the highway to test drive it was smoking enough for me to see it out the mirrors so I turned around headed back to the house i tried hitting the gas and it wouldn't go past about 3500 rpm if i backed off and slowly let it rise it would but not if i gunned it and it died when i let off the gas braking for my turn. Any ideas guys? I'm lost here. Could bad timming do this? I have it about 6 degrees advance according to the timming marks.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Overdrive Member

What color smoke? Black=too much fuel, Blue=burning oil, White=water getting in the cylinder

Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Um idk grey maybe? at the time I was in a hurry and mainly just glad I made it back home with the car and the color of smoke didn't cross my mind. I'll check tomorrow, the carb probably needs to be tuned cause I didn't do anything to it cause it said a 750 would match up pre tuned to the rpm airgap, so tomorrow I'll try that, I'll check the timming again to make sure it hasn't changed I'm thinking the rough running could be that the rpm air gap moves the power range from idle - 5500 with normal edelbrock intakes to 1500 - 6500 if I'm not mistaken so I might try raising my idle after I check the timing from 750rpm to 1000rpm. The smoke from the pipes I can understand but the valve cover breather just makes no sense to me at all, the only thing i can think of is the stock intake had these exhaust ports in the middle for idk what heated choke maybe? and the new one doesn't so those are plugged by the new intake and gasket but still even that doesn't seem plausable I'm still lost with it all, such a good day that I was looking forward to getting to test it all out after 3 weeks of waiting turned sad, angry, and depressed so fast, but thats life I guess and a learning lesson, I'll just have to figure it out and improve it and myself.

Quick Reply: getting on the road