gear reducktion starter mounting problems help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Exclamation gear reducktion starter mounting problems help!!

hey i just picked up a 1976 camaro with a 383 and the guy i bought it from said it needed a new starter because the old starter was blown to pieces because the engine had to high of compression, i checked the old starter and it was fine idk if he put another one in there or if it never blew up but i tester the starter with a battery and it seemed to work fine. But engine compression was too high for a stock starter he said. So He also sold me a gear reduction starter that is for this engine that spins at a slower speed for the high compression. i went to put it in and noticed that there was about a quarter of an inch of space between the block and the starter when i tightened the bolts all the way down and tried to start it as it was but just made a grinding sound but did turn the fan. i dont know if its just the starter moving around while its engaging or if its the wrong size or something. i figured i will shim the space in between the starter and the block in hopes that it will work. But can i still use the stock starter? will the stock starter cause any problems?? thanks, Jim

Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

TOO high!??! What kind of compression does it have? Mine has about 11.5 to 1 and the stock starter has no problems....

Old 02-14-2012, 06:49 PM

im not sure i just got the car its got a fresh rebuilt 383 stroker so idk what the compression is... do u think the stock starter would work fine?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

If the stock starter wont crank it over I'd think there's other issues beyond compression. Maybe timing, or just a bad starter. I'd never shim a starter that was 1/4" off the block. Somethings not right, and I'd take that starter back and get the money back if you haven't buggered it up trying to start with it having the gap.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Ive tried both starters andthey both make the same sound when i try and start it. the engine is freshly rebuilt so i dont know what it could be. I got a brand new battery too so im concerned on what it could possibly be...both starters turn the engine barely but make a loud sheering noise when they do turn.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 PM

both starters make a sheering noise when i turn the key but do turn the engine slowly, and i just got a new battery so it cant be a lack of power.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You need to pull the solenoid off and then mount the starter. You can manually pull the plunger on the starter then and check alignment and clearances. You should have about 1/16" clearance in the teeth mesh, so if you pull the starter bendix in you can slip a 1/16" allen inbetween the starter teeth and the flywheel teeth.
If you don't have this clearance, then you need to figure out why not, and adjust or shim so you do.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't spose you could post a couple pictures of what that starter looks like on the block. Having a gap like that is funky, curious what's holding it away.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 AM
Overdrive Member

I'm going to reread this when I wake up.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM

nothing is holding it back the mounting points for the bolts are different lengths so when i tighten down the gear reduction starter it doesnt take it all the way down because its smaller than the first starter, im still confused on why it doesnt work because i threw the old starter back in it and it did exactly the same thing

Quick Reply: gear reducktion starter mounting problems help!!