Flowmaster 80 series or 50 series

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Default Flowmaster 80 series or 50 series

Hello new to this forum. Hoping you Camaroheads could help out. Now I'm looking to take out the old stock pipes next month for a new exhaust system. After looking into other brands I chose to go with the Flows. But I would like more insignt from people who know best. I'm not interested in the 40s because they create too much interior noise for my liking. I narrowed my selections down to the 50 series Deltaflow, and 80 series Crossflow. Which kit do you think would be nice for a 1974LT? I listened to several clips of each one, but I was hoping to hear from someone who has them personally, or can give me their 2cents.

Thank you, Ezra

Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have the 50 ser. deltaflow on my truck and it sound good but still has some interior noise. The 80 series crossflow is designed for the stock Camaro exhaust (single in/dual out) mounted behind the axle and is what I have on my Camaro currentlly. If you're going to take out the stock exhaust are you replacing with duals from the manifold/header back? Not sure the crossflow type mufflers are designed for that type of application but I'm not positive. The 50 series deltaflow's sound awesome, you'll probably still have some interior noise, but not too extreme. Hope that helps. Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Overdrive Member

This 80 series (the one I plan on using) is duel in/duel out.

Can you show me some pics of yours? I need the transverse muffler for ground clearance and I'm thinking I can save a few ounces too.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nomad is right (obviously) the crossflow 80's can be di/do but are mounted behind the axle like I was mentioning. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or were planning on using two mufflers when you change out the stock pipes. What I should have said is you'd be using a single muffler instead of two.

I'd be glad to post some pics of mine Nomad, as soon as I get the car back from the shop...

Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Overdrive Member

Thank you

Old 10-12-2011, 02:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Welcome to the forum.

I have the 80s Flowmaster kit. Yet to install on my Camaro.
78 On My Plate do you have
any clearance issues? I heard people say they can hit the ground on a bump.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:15 PM

I forgot my password so I had to create a new passwords. I'm getting old. I have pictures, but I dont have a slightest idea on how to get them up. This computer stuff is new to me. Thank you all for the answers, I maybe going with the 80 series.

'78 can you tell me how they are performance wise? Any MPG, or HP increase like they say?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have absolutely no clearance issues at all. With the muffler mounted behind the axle like it does, it's far away from the ground. If I remember correctly the rear end housing is lower than the bottom of the muffler. Can't get pics up tonight as I still didn't get my car back from the shop.
As far as performance and fuel economy goes, I really couldn't specifically say one way or the other. My Camaro is completely stock (except for the exhaust) and I installed the flowmaster quickly after I bought the car. I would have to assume there's a slight increase in HP over stock but it can't be a ton. Can't really say on fuel economy as I really don't have anything to compare it to. My Camaro is the only vehicle I own that I don't pay attention to MPG on.
Pics to follow...

Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Thanks that gave me soe clarity! Everything stock, but the exhaust system. Did the original exhaust manifolds (or headers) hook up fine with the system?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes everything hooks up just fine. The 350 in the car right now has the stock manifolds but the new exhaust went together nicely. I'm not sure if I'll keep the Flowmaster exhaust after I change out the motor/trans this winter but I don't have anything bad to say about it. Best of luck with your system of choice.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 80 series or 50 series