fender flair

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Question fender flair

can anyone tell me about the rear fender flair on the (73?) camaro, please?

Name:  68haines428-1.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  66.0 KB

help would be much appreciated.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What are you wanting to know? What it was made of? How wide it is? How it's attached? What?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
What are you wanting to know? What it was made of? How wide it is? How it's attached? What?
where i can get them... but sure ANY info would be great.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Considering the vintage of the pic, early 70's, and the fact that not nearly as much was available in the aftermarket as it is now, I would have to say that those were probably formed on the car. Looking at the hard line where the flare meets the fender, makes me think those were made of metal. A steel rod can be formed to shape the radius, welded to the quarter, the rest of the flare made of sheet metal, and weld it all to the car. Wouldn't be too hard to do, if you know how to weld.
By comparison, look at the flares on the Vette, those aren't factory fenders. Those have a smoother roll to them because you're dealing with a fiberglass panel with a bonded flare.
Have you done an online search yet? If aftermarket ones exist, you should be able to find them. But, flaring fenders isn't nearly as popular as it used to be in the 70's and 80's, so you may not find any like that. Now it would be considered by many as hacking up the classic lines of a collectible car.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:23 AM

first i appreciate your help.

im kinda new to the classic car seen. i was born in 81 (im 27), so i missed out on the hay-day time of it all. but never-the-less have always loved and admired all classic cars... (im not super mechanical, but i can do minor things like change radiators and the like.) anyways, i went out and bought a 72 dodge dart when i was 13 because it was old, looked awesome to me, and was cheap! As i got a little older, 2 years ago, i bought my dream car. a corvette stingray (76). I never want to sell the car, and couldn't care less what people think. I want it to look the way i want it to look and that's that.

that being said. if these fenders arn't avaliable in some aftermarket or used venue, ill have to find someone that can fabricate fiberglass (as i definitly cant). i guess just print out the picture and say here ya go make these, heres some $. but of course id like to find them somewhere and teach myself, and graft them on. that being way easier for me to learn then making them outta scratch...

so i know with vettes i can check ecklers and other corvette aftermarket supliers, but are their any for camaro that i might have better luck with?

what are your thoughts on the whole delima.

- jay

ps my friend has a sick 69 camaro same colors as yours.