exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default exhaust...

I'm not sure what i should do for exhaust on my 79 camaro. I want it to sounds nice& mean. I was thinking about straight pipes with glasspacks. What do you guys think? It wont harm my performance any by taking the cat off right?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:02 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: exhaust...

hey man.... getting that cat off your car will ENHANCE your performance. you could run straight pipes but i don't know if i would run glass packs for the street. my friend has them on his truck. not the loudest ones ever but he still gets pulled over all the time. i know dynamax makes an entire header back system for our cars. i dont remeber the number of the mufflers or the pipe kit. but its pretty nice combo with there black jack headers. and its pretty darn affordable. and they also have the 90 day warranty for sound. if you dont like the sound they will give you different mufflers. so its pretty legit. look into that. i recommend it highly.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I have hooker headers and flowmaster 40 series on my 80' and it sounds great

Old 08-25-2008, 11:58 PM
2nd Gear member

i have cherrybombs glass packs,there loud but driveable

Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Taking the cat off is the best thing to do it will not harm performance at all. It will help. The mufflers to look into are dynomax bullets. I am not positive if they are street legal but my dad has4" straight with bulletson his 383 stroker 69 camaro and has no problems with inspection or with the cops. And it sounds NASTY it was so loud open headers and with the bullets i think it even made it louder. It makes it alot deeper to sohis small block almost has the deep rumble of my big block

Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

Taking the cat off will help but unless you're in a state that doesn't require emissions or has an age limit on their cars that it falls into I would be careful. A couple of states I've lived in a classic car was 25 years but the one I'm in now it's 35. Luckily mine didn't come with a cat.

Yeah, I have glasspacks on mine that came with the car when I bought it. I have no clue as to what brand they're are as they are rusted over. They sound pretty mean too but I'm usually wondering about if I'm going to get pulled over for them, ha ha. They're loud and I know my neighbors curse me when I'm out tuning, pulling out driving down the street, coming back, tuning, rinse and repeat.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

They may be bullets cause thats what my dads look like. And also emissions don't matter as long as you don't drive over 5,000 miles between inspection. Thats how all our older cars are. Even my 95 trans am was emission exempt cause i only drove it 3-3,500 miles a year. I know in pa it's exempt under 5,000 miles.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Anyone know how dual straight pipes with cherrybomb turbors sounds? I'm just trying to think of something cheap that wout sound really nice and mean.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

i have cherry bomb turbos on my car and i like them and get alot of compliments on how healthy my car sounded. i still have cats on mine but i dont think it would sound much diffrent w/o them.also they are fairly quiet till u really lay into the gas

Old 08-29-2008, 04:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well then turbos are probably not what i want lol i want the car to be somewhat loud.

Quick Reply: exhaust...