Engine swap questions-i6 to 350 on 75lt

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Default Engine swap questions-i6 to 350 on 75lt

Hey everybody.
I have a 1975 Camaro LT with the original inline 6 engine that I use as my daily driver. I just bought another 75 to swap out front ends after a recent accident. I am now having the body repair and new paint job (I'm going RS style two tone blck + orange to match int). The junker I bought for the front end happens to have a great running rebuilt 350 engine sitting in the middle of the pile of rust. It has headers sticking out of it not connected to the exhaust pipes. I was hoping to find out EXACTLY what I need to put in for full support for the 350! I basically know it would be best with a stronger tranny (I have the th350 now), and some suspension, etc.- but I really don't know specifically and exactly everything that I should do to do it right. I could also swap the tranny from the 2nd car (it was a stock 350) but I have no idea what shape its in.
If anyone knows the real rundown of absolutely necessary support, as well as ideal support that I can maybe go without for now but should eventually throw on, please let me know.
I Really appreciate any help given.
Jesse

Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Shouldn't be a big deal,you have all the parts with the donor car.
The V8 car might have a bigger radiator you would want to use.
Your turbo 350 trans should bolt right up to the 350 engine and will be fine. (gotta luv Chevys)
The suspension should be fine,probably the same as a standard V8 car anyway but the smallblock doesn't weigh a lot more than the straight six.
You might want to check out the rear end gears in both cars and see which set you'd rather use if they are different.
The throttle cable or linkage might be different but again you have the donor car so it's all there.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

That's the best way to do any engine swap, by going with a donor car that will have all you need for parts. Don't get rid of anything until your car is up and running again, then part out the leftovers.
Radiators are indeed different, and might even have different inlet and outlet locations. Probably the same physical size, but not as thick on the 6 cyl. radiator.
Your exhaust system will of course need to be done new. Check the donor car to see if it's multileaf rear springs, and if so swap them too. The 6's all had monoleaf rear. Front springs should be fine.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Default Thanks...

Thanks for the responses.
Yeah, the guy already swapped the larger radiator from the donor.
So, my Turbo 350 will be fine, huh? I guess I have seen "350/350" before. I didn't plan on filming any Youtube burnout videos anytime soon, so in that case, I might be fine, huh? That would be great because my trans is in good shape, and the donor trans is a ? at this point. I will take a look at the rear end gears- thanks. My Camaro has those slender tires, and the donor has nice GT Qualifiers on it. Would the GTs work better with the 350?
For the exhaust, the 350 engine has those headers sticking out into nothing. My year requires cat converters, which I had to cut back in recently after being flagged by a lovely CHP officer for being "too loud" in my stock 6cyl with flowmasters. so to be street legal would I throw on 2 cats or have to bring in the exhaust for the one cat? Not clear on exhaust.
I had a guy come and inspect the 350. He noticed slight spots of oil and a few specs of what he thought was metal in the valve covers. He wants now to check the oil, and to figure out how the spots got up into the covers. The car hasn't been turned on but a few times this last year. The engine cranks right up, man it runs so strong- electric gas pump- the heads are new aftermarket, chevy valve covers. This guy wants to reseal the intake manifold- he sprayed some stuff in the sealed area with it running and said the rpm's changed, which told him it should be resealed. Other people say he looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, the engine just needs an oil change, tune up and to run again and would be fine.
Here's pictures...
THANKS!!
PS- how do I check to know what mods are legal or illegal?????

Attached Thumbnails Engine swap questions-i6 to 350 on 75lt-camaro.jpg   Engine swap questions-i6 to 350 on 75lt-other-camaro.jpg  
Old 08-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I can't tell you what you need to be legal, as I don't know Ca. smog laws. I think you should talk to a muffler shop in your area and see what they say. They do that thing all day long, and will know what's OK.
If you spray around the intake gasket with something that is an accelerant, and it speeds up, you need a new intake gasket. Since you'll have the engine out to swap, it's an easy thing to do on the ground. Cheap too, if you can do it yourself.
I'm running a Turbo 350 behind a 427ci engine in my 1971 Camaro, and it's been built up, but has held up very well. I'd put a shift kit in the turbo 350, and then it will definitely hold up well.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
I can't tell you what you need to be legal, as I don't know Ca. smog laws. I think you should talk to a muffler shop in your area and see what they say. They do that thing all day long, and will know what's OK.
If you spray around the intake gasket with something that is an accelerant, and it speeds up, you need a new intake gasket. Since you'll have the engine out to swap, it's an easy thing to do on the ground. Cheap too, if you can do it yourself.
I'm running a Turbo 350 behind a 427ci engine in my 1971 Camaro, and it's been built up, but has held up very well. I'd put a shift kit in the turbo 350, and then it will definitely hold up well.
Agreed and you can buy a complete engine overhaul gasket set for about the same cost as intake and valve cover gaskets so why not do a complete reseal of the engine and throw on some new paint while your at it.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Y2K
Agreed and you can buy a complete engine overhaul gasket set for about the same cost as intake and valve cover gaskets so why not do a complete reseal of the engine and throw on some new paint while your at it.
If the engine's out during the swap, might as well reseal it and make sure it's done right. Doesn't take terribly long with the engine out and on a solid stand.

Also, if you want to check your rear end without popping the cover you can. On the passenger side axle tube facing the front of the car is a number with two letters in the front. These letters denote what the gearing was from the factory. Buuuuut, the previous owner might have changed out the gearing. You're taking a chance with the built up one's rear end but I doubt anyone changed the gears in your stock 6 cyl.

These are for 1975 axle codes:

Rear Axle Codes
PA 2.73:1
PU 2.73:1 Locking
PC 3.08:1
PW 3.08:1 Locking
PH 2.56:1
PY 3.42:1 Locking
PT 2.56:1 Locking
PZ 3.42:1

Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Or you can just jack the rear up and turn the tire to see how many turns the driveline makes.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Or you can just jack the rear up and turn the tire to see how many turns the driveline makes.
...you and your old school ways...

Old 08-20-2009, 03:20 AM

Yeah, I read about that tire turning method. Fun, will try it. Thanks Kyphur for the great info. As I am getting more and more into these cars, anything that can get me under the hood or under the car with a purpose is great. Thanks Y2K, 1971bb427!! Right now I am just showing up at the place in East Oakland where my car is being repainted, to work with the guy on the cosmetics and little items. Triple A give me $3600 and a rental car and $50 a day to a shop that hosted it from the accident. I bought the donor for $1500, and am paying my guy $2100 to swap front ends, repair all body damage, and do a brand new custom paint job, plus cosmetic swaps and little repair items. It is unfortunate when one loses his job and lets his insurance lapse, but fortunate when, once he finds himself in a hole, makes magic against a big system to dig his way out. Unfortunately they gave me a total loss and salvage title, but I was blessed to get $ to get it back going again. My accident was serious, so I am hoping that there was no unknown mechanical damage from the impact. Engine sounds great as it did before, but found/fixed a leak in the radiator/ trans hose today. We swapped the front nose, but there is a gap between the hood and the nose, maybe a fourth of an inch. Need that fixed!!! He says he doesn't know why it's like that, but had me bring him the hood support from my donor car. He threw on a fin, and I am going more classic with the non painted bumpers and metal trimmings on lights and windows.

Thanks again for the responses-I will keep updating, especially when it is finished and ready to dance!

Attached Thumbnails Engine swap questions-i6 to 350 on 75lt-repaint.jpg  

Quick Reply: Engine swap questions-i6 to 350 on 75lt