dragging.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Default dragging.

well to start off with i'm gonna race a friend on a drag strip... well the problem is i have never done it before on the actual strip.... i'm working with a 4 speed 1977 z28 350 381hp.... the real problem is the pre burnout before the race .. do i just pop the clutch and go forward of what??? what's the process in the pre burnout with a manual transmission ... thanks

Old 02-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The burnout is done to warm up your tires, so it depends on how much heat you need to get them sticky. Usually you'd have a line lock and after getting through the water you simply lock the front brakes, get the tires spinning, and release it. After you pass the lights you usually let off and stop. Then back up behind the lights, but not back to the water!
Since you don't have a line lock (I presume) you should simply roll through the water, push in the clutch and stop, then rev your engine to 3,000-4,000 and sidestep the clutch. Once through the lights you can stop and back up to begin staging.
One other hint (again because you've got a stick and no line lock) you should stage carefully, and not too deep! As you slowly roll into the staging lights watch carefully for the first light to come on. Once it lights up, forget the throttle, and just ease the clutch out slightly until it starts to pull the car. Then keep your right foot on the brake slightly and push the clutch in as soon as the second light comes on.
If you roll through the second light while staging, the first light will go out, and you will get an immediate red light, which means you just lost the race. You don't want to lose for any reason, but definitely not that way!
Good luck!

Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Tech Droid

Burnout is a waste of time if you have street tires, and is not required, all it does is make the tires more slippery (greasy). Don't pop the clutch if you expect to be able to drive back home. lol

Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 PM

thanks for the tips guys

Old 02-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by z28pete
Burnout is a waste of time if you have street tires, and is not required, all it does is make the tires more slippery (greasy). Don't pop the clutch if you expect to be able to drive back home. lol
That really depends on your tire compound. Hard street tires will get "greasy" when you do a burnout, but softer compounds get sticky after heating them up a bit.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
The burnout is done to warm up your tires, so it depends on how much heat you need to get them sticky. Usually you'd have a line lock and after getting through the water you simply lock the front brakes, get the tires spinning, and release it. After you pass the lights you usually let off and stop. Then back up behind the lights, but not back to the water!
Since you don't have a line lock (I presume) you should simply roll through the water, push in the clutch and stop, then rev your engine to 3,000-4,000 and sidestep the clutch. Once through the lights you can stop and back up to begin staging.
One other hint (again because you've got a stick and no line lock) you should stage carefully, and not too deep! As you slowly roll into the staging lights watch carefully for the first light to come on. Once it lights up, forget the throttle, and just ease the clutch out slightly until it starts to pull the car. Then keep your right foot on the brake slightly and push the clutch in as soon as the second light comes on.
If you roll through the second light while staging, the first light will go out, and you will get an immediate red light, which means you just lost the race. You don't want to lose for any reason, but definitely not that way!
Good luck!
nice info imo..

Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Some guys will not even go through the water box if they are running street tires, they just do a short dry burnout to "clean" the tires. Experience is the best for learning what works for you and your car, some people will deep stage enough to shut off the first stage light and some will just barely turn on the second light. In the first case the car is right on the edge of the light beam there is no rollout to speak of you need to leave (depending on the car) on the green, the secand case you have around 10" give or take for roll out again depending on the car you can leave when the last yellow comes on and be good. This may help http://www.staginglight.com/guide/react.html

Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks! Amazing what you remeber after 16 yrs. of drag racing, and then about 20 yrs of not doing it! What is more important than anything is consistency! Whatever you do you need to do to prep for the 1/4 mile trip, you need to do it exactly the same once you figure what works for your car.
I've seen more than one guy lose a race because he had a momentary brain fade and forgot to turn off the line lock, or staged deeper than normal and rolled out. Or just watched the light turn and sat there for a second before he took off.
I remember one time racing a friend who I knew was faster and thinking I really needed to be quick off the line to have a chance, and rolled out of the traps before the first light even started! I actually tried to put it in reverse and roll back, but that darn red light gets you way too fast!

Last edited by 1971BB427; 02-06-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Overdrive Member

After you pass the lights you usually let off and stop. Then back up behind the lights, but not back to the water!
They get pissed if you cross the start/finish line during your burnout. At least if your not Jonh Force. The faster guys can get away with it but unless your planning on bottom 8's I'd stay back.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
They get pissed if you cross the start/finish line during your burnout. At least if your not Jonh Force. The faster guys can get away with it but unless your planning on bottom 8's I'd stay back.
I think you meant "starting line". I bet they would get ticked if you crossed the finish line during a burnout!

Quick Reply: dragging.