door pulls

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Default door pulls

i feel a little silly posting a thread with something so remedial as "door pulls" but rolling my window down to close my door is getting pretty old.

A while back i bought new door pulls as the previous ones ripped and didn't stay on. After buying the door pulls i realized i needed new screws to mount them so i went online and ordered those. A couple of months have passed by and i need to readdress a problem i am having when mounting the driver side one. I don't know how it happened but it seems that the hole in the door is too big so that the screw will not catch on to anything when i attempt to mount it.

You would think the obvious answer would be..well get a larger screw. but as many of you can probably guess, a bigger screw wont fit through the actual door pull its self.

So, what i'm asking is, does anyone have a little hint/tip/trick/whatever to get this damn door pull attached to my door haha?

oh, btw i bought the new billet grilles for my car and i put them on after i washed and waxed her. it's different, but i think i like it. Although, i really liked the original black ones alot.

Attached Thumbnails door pulls-new-image.jpg   door pulls-new-image1.jpg  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe try taking the door panel off and put a weld bead in the screw hole to make it smaller?

BTW Nice looking car, i was thinking about the billet grilles and now i know what it would look like on mine lol Thanks

Joe

Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Overdrive Member

What happened is after years of use that screw pulled through the sheet metal. A tack would work fine. But if you dont have access to a welder here is something off the top of my head. Get yourself a piece of sheet metal about 2"x2". Form it to the area on the door where the screw hole is, with a ball peen hammer. Gently. Then zip screw the plate to the door structure. Then reassemble everything and put the arm rest on. Use the drill to punch it through making its own hole or drill it with a small bit The door panel should cover the heads of the zip screws with no problem. I wish I would have thought of this when I did the T/A. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Pop rivets are your friend! You can use Damon's idea about the plate behind the hole, but drill and pop rivet it in place for a smoother, solid mount. A couple rivets will hold fine.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

alright thanks guys. unfortunately i dont have access to or know how to weld/rivet. But, i do know a good fair priced place in town that would be able to do that for me. they patched up some rust around the door striker (the piece the door latches on to) and reset it for around 90 bucks. ugh, money money money lol. I need to graduate and get a job already haha.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Popr rivets are put in with a tool. The tool and some rivets are usually under $20. All you need is a drill motor and a bit. It's something most any car guy can do.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Overdrive Member

I second that. cheap fix really. Even a bargain brand pop rivet gun will get you by.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 AM
2nd Gear member

every car guy need to know what a rivet gun is and how to use it.
Walmart has them, but go to Ace and ask one of the old guys how to use it. They will enjoy telling you how.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

haha alright alright ill check into it. whenever i think of rivets, i always think of every wwII documentary or movie i have ever seen. I'm sure i could even youtube how to use it and practice on my roommates car when he's not home .

so basically what i'm going to be doing is filling up the hole, and then using a drill bit to make a new hole? sounds easy enough.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pretty much, heres a video

YouTube - Pop Rivet Tool

Joe

Quick Reply: door pulls