Door problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Default Door problems

My diver Door opens fine but will not close all the way you should be able to tell in the pics. And then my passenger doorwill close all the way but when you open it will drag on the front panel. what should i check or replace?

Driver Close
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...o/P1000116.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...o/P1000117.jpg

Passenger Door
close
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...o/P1000110.jpg
Opening
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...o/P1000111.jpg

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Default RE: Door problems

passenger side, you hinges are just out of adjustment.
you need to remove the fender, losen the 6 door hinge bolts slightly
then use another person or a floor jack to lift the back of the door up,
tighten the bolts, test to see if it closes better.
repeat steps untill you are satisfied.
you may need to play with the hight until it is just right
over time the door sags, it just a normal camaro thing

if the drivers door isnt closing all
the way you may just need to adjust the door pin or whatever it is called.
The metal pin on the door jam that the door striker latches on to
You can loosen it up just by unscrewing then move it inward slightly
this will pull the back of the door in farther

Old 02-18-2008, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

on your car, I'm sure your hinges are beyond adjustment. it is extremely common for the hinges to go bad on second gen Camaros. those doors are very heavy and the hinges wear out. the easiest test is to open the door up and lift it up. if it does lift up, then your hinges are gone not just out of adjustment

buy yourself some new hinges. sometimes the hinges are rebuildable with kits they sell, but if you don't know what to look for, or how to do it, you're better off just buying the new hinges

the door that won't close all the way just needs the striker adjusted. I'm not sure if I remember correctly (it's been a loooong time) but I think you have a torx head on it instead of an allen head. I think they used torx all the way through at least 1981

Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM

OK Thinks, so next question is how would i go about removing the fender?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

why are you removing the fender?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:40 PM

in frenchsquared post said"you need to remove the fender" but if i dont have to to get to the hinges then i guess start looking for some new hinges.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

no, no, no. do you realize how bad that would be if people had to remove the fender of a car to take off a door? the fender bolts to the nose, so would you have to take that off too? doesn't make sense now huh?

unbolt them from the cowl (leaving them attatched to the door), then scribe around the hingesat the door so when you go to put them back on, you will have something to go by to get them pretty close to lined up when you re-assemble them

Old 02-18-2008, 05:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

one more thing, if you have to do this by yourself, use a hydraulic jack at about the mid-point of the door to help support it when you unbolt the hinges. don't forget ro put something like a towel or blanket under the door to stop the jack from chipping the paint

Old 02-18-2008, 05:47 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It looks as though your fender is damaged or out of adjustment, maybe both. Also, the gap looks wider at the top of the door than the bottom, this indicates gross misalignment. Most likely bad hinges like 1969 SS said. Start with repairing the hinges on both doors. When you are finished the gap between the door and fender should be fairly even, top to bottom. The fender looks like it was pushed in ahead of the door, if this is the case you will need to straighten it to match the door. Easiest way to do this is with a slide hammer. That will pull it out so the front edge of the door will not hit the fender. Then the bodywork begins.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You first want to determine that your hinges are worn. As already said, you want to lift the door up to see if it moves. With the door open, stand at the end of the door and lift the door from the bottom like you're trying to lift the car (almost). If you can move the door and feel slop before the car itself moves, the hinges are worn. Having someone watch the hinges as you lift will help to determine where the slop is. Nine times out of ten, the bronze bushingswill be worn (or gone) and the hinge pin will have a groove worn into it. Your lower bushings wouldn't be worn nearly as bad as the upper ones, since the uppers take the majority of the weight of the door. But, as long as you're messing with it, you'll be happier if you put new bushings in all four. You can buy replacement bushing/pin kits from several GM/Camaro supply companies, and replacement isn't very difficult. Replacing the bushings and pins is going to be a hell of a lot easier than replacing and readjusting with new hinges. Not to mention the big cost difference.

Quick Reply: Door problems