Complete Interior for 79 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:49 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member
Default Complete Interior for 79 Camaro

Where would I go to price buying outright, a complete interior for a 79 Camaro? A quick Google search yielded the typical hip wader height field of BS. Figured some gearheads would already know.

I pretty much need everything, I have a rear seat that needs redone, and a drivers seat that needs new foam and redone, the dash is there complete, otherwise, all carpet, all panels, the console, and headliner are gone. Buying it separately would be silly, finding a parts car with a good interior is probably not realistic. If it costs me $1500 to get the interior done, I figure it will be money well spent.

Thanks
Steve

Old 10-11-2009, 03:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

try ebay

Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I would look into Eckler's or Classic Industries and see if they can give you a deal on the parts you need.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:22 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Was hoping for a kit actually. Not a problem though to piece it all together. Maybe I will do that tonight just to figure out what it will cost.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you planning on going stock, or custom? Do you need the plastic panels for the rear sides, or upholstered parts only?

Old 10-11-2009, 06:29 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Are you planning on going stock, or custom? Do you need the plastic panels for the rear sides, or upholstered parts only?
I would probably just go mainly stock. I do need the panels from the rear sides also. I did not see them in Ecklers. I did a quick look over and made a table and the grand total was $2754, probably missing a bunch of stuff that they were not showing. Plus I don't have a passenger seat... was really hoping for a interior kit. Probably will be cheaper to buy a wrecked car or something.

Got a long way to go on this, but will have to keep my eyes open.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Definitely cheaper to buy a wrecked vehicle, as they're pretty much under $500 all day long, even with decent interior. Whatever was worn out could be recovered, and still be less than the estimate you've put together so far.
Some of my interior plastics were kinda shabby, and I went to my local fabric shop and purchased naugahyde material for $7 a yd. Brushed the plastic and naugahyde with contact cement, then stuck the material over the plastic, and trimmed off the excess. Saved a ton of money, and they look better than new, and more deluxe. I got a few bubbles that formed at first,. but once they totally dried they all laid down smooth.
I removed my old seat covers and took them to a local auto upholstery shop. They tore the covers apart and made new covers from the patterns. Then I bought a set of hog ring pliers and put the covers back on. The shop was really cheap, and very helpful with advice on installing them. His best hint was, "Toss the covers in a pillow slip, tie the end closed and put them in the dryer for about 5 min., then pull them out and install them while they're still warm."
They formed beautifully, and cost me under $400 for front and back covers! I'm not using the back anymore, as the rollcage blocks that area, but it was still a cheaper route to go.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is another site with some prices: http://www.drclassic.com/catalog/Camaro/Interior

Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS
Here is another site with some prices: http://www.drclassic.com/catalog/Camaro/Interior
Thanks, will look at it. Hopefully something a bit more realistic comes up there.

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Definitely cheaper to buy a wrecked vehicle, as they're pretty much under $500 all day long, even with decent interior. Whatever was worn out could be recovered, and still be less than the estimate you've put together so far.
Some of my interior plastics were kinda shabby, and I went to my local fabric shop and purchased naugahyde material for $7 a yd. Brushed the plastic and naugahyde with contact cement, then stuck the material over the plastic, and trimmed off the excess. Saved a ton of money, and they look better than new, and more deluxe. I got a few bubbles that formed at first,. but once they totally dried they all laid down smooth.
I removed my old seat covers and took them to a local auto upholstery shop. They tore the covers apart and made new covers from the patterns. Then I bought a set of hog ring pliers and put the covers back on. The shop was really cheap, and very helpful with advice on installing them. His best hint was, "Toss the covers in a pillow slip, tie the end closed and put them in the dryer for about 5 min., then pull them out and install them while they're still warm."
They formed beautifully, and cost me under $400 for front and back covers! I'm not using the back anymore, as the rollcage blocks that area, but it was still a cheaper route to go.
I like the idea of recovering the trim pieces, that sounds like it should look fine once it is done. And having read a couple of articles on recovering seats, it doesn't look like a big deal. There is a guy across the street that is called Dr. Vinyl, I wonder if he would be up for it...? Thanks for the dryer tip, I also read someplace that they put a garbage bag over the seat before they pull the cover on. I can only assume that they just leave it on there when they are done.

Yes, I think I will need to look for a wrecked car and pull off what I need, then salvage it somehow. I suppose one could also fill in any imperfections and plastic paint the stuff too.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baldilocks01SS
Looks comparable to Ecklers. Seat foam is $127.99 each at Ecklers, $154 a pair here. Like $179 for carpet and mats there and 134 for carpet, 30 something for mats. Thanks for the site, I need to make a spreadsheet with comparison pricing and a list of materials that I need to get.

Quick Reply: Complete Interior for 79 Camaro