Cloneing to a Z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Cloneing to a Z28

Hey I am thinking about cloning my 78 Sport Coupe Camaro to a Z.

So far the fenders have those outlets. The cluster was filled in, but with actual gauges or indicators? I know the grill is different, but how different. Is it just as simple as black with the Z28 emblem? 77 Nomad mentioned that the suspension, sway bar, and steering box are also different. Can some body explain to me just how much different. Like if it is even worth it to clone that far. Right now there are dead air shocks under my project, I'll swap those. I also have traction bars back there as well. I'm not looking at entering this thing in any show/track competitions. Just want a bad a** machine that I can break loose (just a smidge) in.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:30 PM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was thinking of cloning my 81 SC into a Z28 myself, I just planned on puttin on the quad flares, chin spoiler, emblums and fender vents. Being it already has the induction scoop and 3 pc rear trunk spoiler i would just drrop a 350ci in it and leave the suspension the way it is? thats what i was going to do anyway lol?, but all i know about the grille is that the Z28 grilles were body colour (factory) and i'm not sure but i think the grilles for the Z's had wider square slots? Oh and the Z's had black window trims also.

Last edited by 80ZJoe; 11-10-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree totally with Joe. No need for the suspension if your not gonna force it into corners. I have a real 78 Z and an 80 coupe. The sway bars are much bigger and the steering box is faster. Joe is correct about the grill slots being bigger on a Z. The 80-81 Z28 grills can be spotted a mile away. They look like window blinds.

A tell tale sign of a 78 Z is there isn't a front chin spoiler, they came out in 79. So, if you want it to be a spot on clone. You'll need upper and lower grills (78s have a Z28 emblem), fender vents, hood, gas door emblem, rope steering wheel w/ emblem and the tail lights have a black stripe in the middle. Along with the windshield and back window trim Joe mentioned.

Those are about all the visual cues I can think of. Maybe the gauges. But those could be got on a sport coupe too.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I knew there was something to do with the front spoilers. I forgot to mention the gas door emblum but toushe on the rope steering wheel.
Thanks 77nomad but sorry, this is a phone post, so don't edit me please.

And Joe thanks for your input. My SC has the three piece spoiler. My Father says the dealers would slap those on all the time if the factory wouldn't do it.
I don't think I'll do a total clone, I'll go nuts. I'm still trying to hunt for smog parts. I'll either put Z or something like Z88 so no one jumps on me for trying to be Z28.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Overdrive Member

I don't think it matters. Heres my break down. I like certain things from different years and there are some things I'll use just because its all I have.

The body is an 80. The nose is from my 78. I bought a chin spoiler because its a must for me. The fenders have 78-79 vents because I like them, I have the 80-81 style too but will save them until they are ungodly rare and make a buck or two. I have a 78 hood and grills. The stripes will be 79 style. The dash is 80 for now but when I replace it it will be 78 and earlier. (they don't make 79 and later) I have the 130 MPH speedo and 7grand tach out of the 78 in there. The ENTIRE suspention went up for sale and all aftermarket went in there. Turbine wheels from the 78z until my new brakes go on then IDK.

You see I made mine like I thought they should have made it, but keeping it look almost stock is a big deal for me.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I see. Ya all I have inside is the 130 speedo and a big fuel gage. I know the clock is a blank but I can't tell if the oil, water temp, and volt meter are blanks or indicator lights. My dad can't remember because he worked on a ranch with his dad since he was a kid. All he dealt with was C or K pickups.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Camaros didn't come with oil pressure gauges. If you can't read the gauge, they're idoit lights.