Carb or Atomic EFI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Carb or Atomic EFI?

I need everyones suggestions, expertise, etc. I am contemplating on purchasing the new MSD Atomic EFI for my 77. Currently I am running the 600 cfm Summit carb that I do not like. Basically my set up is a 355 with 10.8 compression with decent size cam and some work done to my Vortec heads. Currently the 600 cfm just isn't running right (float used to always get stuck). After having the carb fixed it doesn't feel like it's enough for my motor.

Should I go ahead and purchase the Atomic EFI or go with a better quality carb? Price wise it's a no brainer but trying to think long term.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Old 03-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Tech Droid

If you have the cash, go with the EFI. The Atomic system is about as simple as they come, and the wide band O2 sensor will bring in the A/F mixture automatically. It is not as sophisticated as timed MPFI, but as for power output they should be very close. I suspect the Atomic may come out ahead on power due to the cooling effect the fuel has on the air entering the manifold, similar to the reason that carbs usually make a little more power than similar sized MPFI systems.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by z28pete
If you have the cash, go with the EFI. The Atomic system is about as simple as they come, and the wide band O2 sensor will bring in the A/F mixture automatically. It is not as sophisticated as timed MPFI, but as for power output they should be very close. I suspect the Atomic may come out ahead on power due to the cooling effect the fuel has on the air entering the manifold, similar to the reason that carbs usually make a little more power than similar sized MPFI systems.
Thanks, I am leaning that way.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

At $2200 that is a huge chunk of change... but if you got the cash I would go for it.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 5time F
At $2200 that is a huge chunk of change... but if you got the cash I would go for it.
Cash isn't the problem. Is the money worth it or is $600 carb just as good. Especially in the long run.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I plan on going EFI when the time comes around... it just tunes so much nicer.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:42 AM
2nd Gear member

Fuel injection is nice, but so is a well matched and tuned carb. You just have to ask if its worth the extra money to go with fuel injection or to get another carb and spend the time to really get it dialed in.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by greenmachine96
Fuel injection is nice, but so is a well matched and tuned carb. You just have to ask if its worth the extra money to go with fuel injection or to get another carb and spend the time to really get it dialed in.
That is a great question. A dialed in carb is good but is the ease of EFI worth the extra $1500 or so in the long run?

Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I say if you can get the EFI- do it. I am looking at the professional products Powerjection III myself.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by ZL1CAMARO
I say if you can get the EFI- do it. I am looking at the professional products Powerjection III myself.
Doesn't that need a laptop to set up?

Quick Reply: Carb or Atomic EFI?