Camaro Belt Problems...(Video Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Default Camaro Belt Problems...(Video Inside)

Well for the second time, the fan belt broke off on the camaro yesterday.

I gunned it in first gear then a little after that I saw the water temp raise and knew the fan belt came off again, this time it was worse though.

Both the Fan belt, and the 2 belts going from the crank to power steering pump came off.

WELL, luckily, a fellow Camaro owner pulled over and had every tool I needed. He gave me a ride over to the advanced auto parts and bought me a new fan belt, which was incredibly nice. So we get the fan belt on and place the other twisted belts on.

Later last night I went to autozone to get two new belts for the powersteering pump. Of course they only had one that would fit, so then I went to advance again and bought a different brand one. So I put them on and I see that one of them is much looser that the other, even though the belts are both the same size.

Also, I think that the reason why they wont tighten up is because there isnt anything holding the pump on on the right side as you can see here:

^^Notice the different belts

Here are the videos showing the problem, Please help people. I appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfBjo7kJzpY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBmI7MqGTQU Watch in HD

Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Yep, you are missing the adjustment bracket that holds the outside edge of the pump solid. Never buy different brands of belts for the same pulley. They are the same rated length, but different manufacturers use slight differences that create the issue you have now. You need to go buy another belt of one brand to get rid of the mismatched belt. Also, never change just one of the pair, as you'll see one new and one stretched will cause the same issue.
Go to NPD site on page 69 of the Camaro section and you'll see the support brackets on the bottom right side of page 69.
http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.as...oa10flx&from=2

Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 PM

I really appreciate it man, THANK YOU!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:32 PM

Conveniently there is a NPD 10 miles from me, the only one in Florida, and they have a bracket. AWESOME!

Old 08-31-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Droid

Usually V belts fly off if the pulleys are out of line or the belt is loose. The missing bracket will definetely cause both problems.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Wait, are both of the belts on the p.s. pump going to the crank pulley and nowhere else (routed identically)? Take one belt off, you only need one. Having two is just looking for an uneven stretch between them, resulting in one getting looser than the other, finally throwing off and taking the other one with it. The reason the pump has a 2 groove pulley, is for another accessory that you must not have on the engine, where the second belt routes a different way from the first.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-31-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah only use one belt and get that bracket and you shouldnt have any more probs. Heres a pic of the bracket i have

Name:  101_3104.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  76.7 KB

Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Overdrive Member

I'm in agreement on the two belt deal. One was either driving the air pump or air conditioning compressor. I would ditch the outer one other wise using the outer might put too much side load on the pump shaft. And get the bracket.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Well dang, thats good to know! So which one do I need to keep, the one closest to the engine, or the one closest to the fan?

I also went to NPD today and they didn't have the bracket in stock are you guys sure that bracket will work though even though its not a factory motor? Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Camaro Belt Problems...(Video Inside)