buying a car with no title

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default buying a car with no title

Hi guys, I usually post in the fourth gen section, but I've been looking into getting a project car lately, and a question came up, and I'm having a hard time finding the answer. I found a guy on craigslist selling a car I would be interested in, but he has no title. From what I gather he's the owner of some kind of storage facility, and the car was left in a unit, that was either abandoned or not paid for. Either way, he has no title, but is technically the owner of the car. So, the question is, how do I go about purchasing this car? I don't have much experience buying cars, let alone ones without titles. I am in illinois, which might make a difference, I'm honestly not sure. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Call your local DMV and ask them what is the best way to go on that one...

Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 AM

Here in Ga, I bought my camaro w/o a title. Just be sure to get a bill of sale, a paper with tax info(not sure what its called) and that should be good. A title isnt needed for such an older car. But be sure hes not scammin you

Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by WatsonCustoms
Here in Ga, I bought my camaro w/o a title. Just be sure to get a bill of sale, a paper with tax info(not sure what its called) and that should be good. A title isnt needed for such an older car. But be sure hes not scammin you
In your state yes, but that doesn't work if the car is transferred within a state that require a title, such as here in IL.
But, I could buy a car from a state that only requires registration or bill of sale, and transfer it here and get it titled.
You'd think these "United States" would be united, wouldn't ya?

Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM

I'd also contact your local DMV just to be sure. Otherwise, paper documentation is key.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

call the dmv i know here in sc you need a title for anything newer that 1970

theres a good chance you cant get a title which would mean you cannot register the car

Old 04-12-2012, 04:32 PM
March 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Call you local DMV. He may need to file a lein against the car before anything can be done.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 5time F
Call your local DMV and ask them what is the best way to go on that one...
Originally Posted by WatsonCustoms
Originally Posted by NC_Tech007
I'd also contact your local DMV just to be sure. Otherwise, paper documentation is key.
Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
call the dmv i know here in sc you need a title for anything newer that 1970

theres a good chance you cant get a title which would mean you cannot register the car

thanks for all the responses guys. the car is a 1978, and i almost feel like a traitor saying this, but it's a trans am. i did a little digging and found a form to fill out to apply for a new title if the car has been repossesed by a lien holder, and the owner of the car cannot be contacted. that might work, but i'm not a lawyer, so i'm not sure. he does have the lease papers or whatever they are called from the renting of the storage unit, so i'll have a copy of those in hand as well. the guy is being cooperative, he just doesn't have the time to do all the paperwork himself. i also did try to call the secretary of state, but they were closed when i got some, so i might have to call them during work one day, and just ask my questions quickly. if anyone has any other feedback on this i would still appreciate it.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For the owner of the storage facility to be "technically the owner" of the car as you say, he would have had to go through some procedures. You didn't say what state you're in, but here's how California rolls: 4 Ways to Get a Title to an Abandoned Vehicle - wikiHow
You can't rightfully claim to be the cars new legal owner, if all the storage guy did was open the garage door and try to sell the car outright. Then you're only recourse is to try and get a duplicate (lost replacement) title. However, that new copy gets sent to the titled owner on record, not to you, which means you'd have to contact the present owner. From your story, it sounds like the storage guy didn't do any of this, which means if you buy that car, prepare to: lose it, never get a title for it, or only have it as a parts car.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
For the owner of the storage facility to be "technically the owner" of the car as you say, he would have had to go through some procedures. You didn't say what state you're in, but here's how California rolls: 4 Ways to Get a Title to an Abandoned Vehicle - wikiHow
You can't rightfully claim to be the cars new legal owner, if all the storage guy did was open the garage door and try to sell the car outright. Then you're only recourse is to try and get a duplicate (lost replacement) title. However, that new copy gets sent to the titled owner on record, not to you, which means you'd have to contact the present owner. From your story, it sounds like the storage guy didn't do any of this, which means if you buy that car, prepare to: lose it, never get a title for it, or only have it as a parts car.
I'm in illinois. I'm planning on making a few phone calls tomorrow, and I'll go from there.

Quick Reply: buying a car with no title