Buffed out and back together

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks! Rain stopped, sun came out, took it for a spin to the parts store for new window crank handles. Pretty cold at low 40's with no windows!

Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, lookin good man! Gotta say, I'm a bit jealous...I wish my car was that far along, but I'm just getting started. too excited to start making some good progress and hoping I have enough money!

Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

wow looking awesome!! it really does sheen nicely.cant wait to see it when its really sunny out

haha yeah i bet it was cold. it was cold with windows lol would have been funny to see you driving around with no windows lol

Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Car turned out looking real nice. It's great when you can hit it with a team of helpers for the "some assembly required" part!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by jason7504
wow looking awesome!! it really does sheen nicely.cant wait to see it when its really sunny out

haha yeah i bet it was cold. it was cold with windows lol would have been funny to see you driving around with no windows lol
Well it wasn't actually "no windows", just the door glass gone. Couldn't legally drive it without windshield and rear glass.
Took my ganrdson home from the shop with me as dad followed. He loved it when we "cleaned it out" on the way home. Took my son for a ride Sat. evening after we got it a little together and he was grabbing doors and dash. My grandson thought that was pretty funny when I told him what his dad did.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

well yeah i know it was just the door glass but that still would have been funny to see lol
haha thats awesome! i would love to take a spin in it sometime too *hint hint* haha

Old 11-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

So this afternoon I took advantage of the great sunny day and took off early from work to work on the car. Got the trim molding on the windshield, but can't do the rear, as I lost a corner piece, and they wont sell that one piece separately. Have to find a used one, or pay $200 for the whole set! I'll put this off until I can maybe locate the piece, or a replacement from someone who's installing new and has a corner piece to sell.
The interior was a shambles from the body shop and a month with no doors on! I spent 4 hours spraying, vacuuming, and cleaning the interior. Then I ended up masking off and repainting my rollbar. I still need to have the upholstery shop make me some velcro covers for the pads, so it looks a little nicer.
Found a real surprise while I was washing the inside of the windows! When I pressed hard on the inside of the rear window to get the streaks off, the whole window bottom edge lifted free from the car! I had to try it twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but surely it was separated! Took it straight to the glass shop and had them pull it off and reinstall it with new adhesive. That could have been disasterous if it had blown out going down the freeway! It was the original rear glass, and I guess it doesn't stay stuck forever.
Well it's clean inside, the glass is tuck, and once I get the guide rollers the door glass can go in. Oh yea, and then there's that rear window molding someday!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear member

how much a single color paint job set yeah back?

im looking to do the same thing with my 79 but do my own body work with my dad.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I found a local guy (5 blocks away!) that painted two cars for my neighbor which were in the Roadster Show this spring. My neighbor was happy with the work and the price, so I got an estimate from him.
I did most of the body work, and removed all the chrome, but my bodywork skills suck, so he finished it up and blocked it out. His price to finish the work, change color, and paint evrything inside the jams, trunk, and hood was $2,000. An extra $200 to lay out the SS stripes and paint them. This was less than 1/2 the closest estimate I got from others. I had prices from around $4,500-$8,500 and some of them weren't going to do all the prep he did.
Included in the price was to coat the leading edge of the flares and the body (up to the lowest body line) with chip guard, so the wide front tires wouldn't toss gravel and eat up my new paint. I didn't even ask for this; he just threw it in for free.
He got it all done in less than a month too! Right on schedule.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:59 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's awesome on the price and service. It will definitely pay off for him with the good word of mouth you'll spread around.

If it wasn't the rear glass from your year I could get you that piece pretty easy. There's a junkyard not too far from me that has two 77 - 81 models that still have most of the glass trim. Too bad ours have the square rear windows.

Oh, and the paint looks awesome. Great work and I look forward to seeing more and more pictures.

Quick Reply: Buffed out and back together