brake debate

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default brake debate

The following question has created some spirited debate among by buddies at work. I've decided to upgrade my brake system...within a limited budget. I've gone with better rotors and pads up front. The debate is what to do with the rear brakes.

Option one is to go with the upgraded drum kit. Called the 'police option' it's a complete kit (back plate to drum & everything in between) including larger drums and Kevlar shoes...$560 delivered.

Option two is Summits rear disk conversion kit. It's also a complete kit and is $492 delivered.

Most agree that disk is the way to go but there's discussion about using Summit's kit. Some say Summit brands are factory seconds and others say it's just someone elses product marketed under the Summit name.

Anyone know the truth regarding Summit and more importantly which brake option would you go with?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: brake debate

I would go with disc brakes out back. As for Summit products, I would say that someone makes them under their name. I know of other companies that do this, so it wouldn't surprise me. I don't know this as fact, but I will fuel the argument.

EDIT: You may also try Ebay. There appears to be quite a few decent complete kits at comparable prices.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/ca...nQQ_trksidZm38

Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I used the SSBC kit on my 70, I wasnt sure about the summit kit either.The SSBC kitbolted up nicely. Theonly real problem was the E brake cable was too short, and residual valves werent included which was a problem initially.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not familiar with a residual valve...what is it? According to the disk kit instructions, you have to install a proportional valve between the distro block and the rear brakes. Is this the same thing?

Old 10-29-2008, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

There is usually residual pressure in the lines from the master cylinder so when you change to disc brakes it can (in my case did) make the rear calipers drag on the rotor, with obvious consequences because of that. The distrubition block and proportioning valve are different than the residual valves.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ordered the rear disk conversion kit today. I'll post some product reviews once I install it.

Okay, I've educated myself about residual, proportional, metering, combination, distribution....whew! See links if interested.

http://www.hot-rod.com.au/builder/brakes.html

http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/brake_facts.html

It says 2# residual valves are only required in disk/disk systems where the master cylinder is at or below the level of the calipers. Was this the case in your set up?

After all this reading my question is now....since it was originaly a disk/drum set up....do I now need a disk/disk combination valve?

Edit: Wanted to add this link. It's an excellent source of info on brake systems. Looks like I might need a disk/disk combo valve.

http://www.thebrakeman.com/valvetechi

Old 10-30-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Youve found some very good info. My MC is at the normal level, not below the level of the calipers. I have the proportioning valve at the level of/next to the MC so Im able to "dial" in what amount of pressure I want to go to the rear brakes.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah i check that regularly at least once a month,

last time i checked it was fine,
the car had the whole break system done about a year ago, but it has not been driven all too much, about 1k miles more or less, but i should say that i had to make a couple of "emergency stops" at least x2, does that affect the breaks? or the system?

Old 11-01-2008, 06:14 PM
3rd Gear Member

Got3ofem> I think in an issue of carcraft orhotrod they recently had the kit you talk about and mention that the e-brake cable was too short but then they figured out that it wasn't and that it was easier to do the e-brake before assembling the rear bracket. It was something like that and it was like a "eureka" moment for them.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

I didn't go to the link you posted, but you do know you need a new master cylinder now, right?

Quick Reply: brake debate