Biggest Tires on a camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:54 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: Biggest Tires on a camaro!

I have 10 inch wheels on the rear and tucked in the wheel house but it would not be possible with out some mods. The inner wheelhouse had to be widened slightly and even then there is not enough room with leaf springs. I needed to go four link to clear the tires. Once the mods were done there is still the issue of backspacing which is huge, around 6 inches if I remember correctly.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: JRs72RS
The inner wheelhouse had to be widened slightly and even then there is not enough room with leaf springs. I needed to go four link to clear the tires.
What did you do to the wheelhouse? Any pics of the mods and four-link?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:39 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I cannot locate any pics from when I was working on the car, sorry. If I can dig them up I will get them to you.

Where the floor connects to the inside edge of the wheelhouse I removed 3/4 inch leaving about 1/4 inch of floor on the wheelhouse. This 1/4 inch will allow some overlap when you join the sections together again. Then with some careful use of a hammer the wheelhouse was worked back to meet the floor. The hard part is making the cut through the old shock mount and getting it welded back together. This will yield almost one inch gain at the lower edge of the wheelhouse which is where the space is needed most. There is also a part of the wheelhouse near the rear seatbelt attachment point that needs to be smoothed out. When you are done the back seat will still fit with no mods to that.

The four link I used is an Air Ride Technologies Air Bar setup. It is bolt-in for the most part, just have to weld tabs on the axle tubes. Otherwise you could use a universal four link kit too, it would mean a lot more welding and fab work though.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: randy129

Thanks, it was a fun ride. I'm hoping to find a good 70-72 to replace it.

The pic (above)was taken behind a buddy's house. The other five below are his and his pop's.

Cool, this is my 72. It's not an RS but I think the split bumpers are too played out. Anyway, my rear wheels also rub and I was thinking of either changing them out or getting some modifications done to keep them. I really like how they look but I don't like the rubbing. Does anyone have any ideas how I could modify the car. I have air shocks in the back but they don't help much when I hit a dip in the road or railroad tracks. Any ideas?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Nice ride; hopefully one will be in my shop soon. :-)

ORIGINAL: Thoreau
Does anyone have any ideas how I could modify the car. I have air shocks in the back but they don't help much when I hit a dip in the road or railroad tracks. Any ideas?
Rolling the inner fender lip will help a bit, but getting some wheels with enough offset to tuck into the wheelwell is what you'll probably end up doing.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 AM

I have 10 inch tires on the back and 6.5 inch on the front if you go bigger on the back they will rub the fenders. My ten inch tires rubbed before I put traction bars and air shocks on the back.. They would only rub if i had people in the back , when i turned corners under hard exceleration. dont go bigger than 10 inch nothing but problems..

Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Thoreau, one thing that gets over looked a lot is when someone puts new quarters on a car. Many times the lip on the wheel opening of replacement quarters is wider than the factory parts. Rolling the edges helps a lot but if there is over 3/4 inch lip it can be cut down. The trick is to make sure there is still plenty of spot welds holding the quarter to the outer wheelhouse. To get max clearance I would trim the lip then roll it.

Check rear end to see if it is centered under the car. I have seen some Camaros that were off by almost 1 inch to one side. New bushings and some tweaking by loosening the u-bolts can help.

Last, check your wheel backspacing. If the wheel is not centered in the wheelhouse, you will loose clearance. You did not say how wide your wheels are, but if everything is setup correctly you should be able to get 9 inch wheels to fit easy, 10 inch with a little more lift in the rear.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Now i dont knowif a 1st gen camaro is able to fit bigger tiresthan 2nd gen but...a 67,68 or 69 camaro was able to fit28x12.5-15 on an 8in rim with either 4 1/2 or 5" backspacing. so if u know the answer please post!
Thanks!