Best restoration guide for 1970-73

Old 09-16-2018, 02:46 AM
Default Best restoration guide for 1970-73

What would you recommend as a great guide for the restoration of a 1970-1973? While we're on the subject, how about any recommendations for a great bodywork guide as well? Painting? I'd like to tackle a project car and soak up as much info as possible before starting. It's been a long time since my last project car and I am finally getting to a point where I can start one again. Any direction would be much appreciated!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

So you just want to know every thing about everything. Most people spend years if not decades learning what you are asking. There is no "how to restore a car" guide. The needs of each car is different. On one car you may need to be a geometry expert and a metal fabricator. The next car may not need any of that. If you want a show car expect years of research on every single part of the car and years getting good a leveling and painting a car. Even a full time 2 year degree in automotive technology will not tell you everything you need to know about restoring a car.

You will need to break down the process much further. You are going to have to decide which parts of the car will need to be out sourced and which ones you can handle. In many cases it will cost as much to get the needed special tools as it will take to get a job done once.

Step one of a restoration project:
A plan with a budget. What is you end game. Just get the car on the road as a 20 footer? A resto mod that will make car guys say nice job? A local show winner? or a Concord restoration that can compete in any car show anywhere. A realistic budge. Either money you have or money you know you can afford per month. Most major armature project never get finished. I have seen unfinished project get pasted between people for years before it ends up landing in the right guys hands. Each person owning it losing money and time. Buying unfinished projects is a great way to save money IF you know what you are doing. It is not something a beginner should do. Last thing a beginner needs is a car put together wrong.

If you already have the car you will need a evaluation. This may include tear down but just keep in mine that will devalue the project. You don't want to change your mind after tear down. At some point you will need to decide if you are going the whole dip the body is acid or a jack stand restoration.

YouTube is your friend along with www.Eastwood.com. Eastwood has a strong present on youtube with a lot of how too's and they also sell tons of how to stuff and have classes at their site in PA. Find people on youtube to follow. I will post more info later if you want.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:44 PM
2nd Gear member

I would first make the car is safe to drive .Then do a lot of research on what you want to do with the car (Pro-Touring .Street Stock .etc. ) And plan a budget for it. Just remember that this is a hobby .do it as time and money permit. If it gets too much just walk away from it and do something for a while.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I apologize, I realize I did not clarify my starting point. I have already been through this scenario before with a 76 vette I owned for several years and learned the hard way on what to expect when you tear into a project and find that everything on an old car will need repair/replacement. Ive also helped a few of my friends put together three late 2nd gen camaros and a 71 chevelle. I claim no expert status in any way, but I've been in enough projects to see what it turns into(boxes and boxes of parts, most broken in some way, some missing, rusted out body panels, rotted heater cores, hacked wiring, bent frames, wasted u-joints and bearings, blown head gaskets, stuff that doesn't line up on reassembly, tons of random gaskets and hardware you didn't know existed or expected to replace, lots of money and time disappearing, the need for expert help, etc.)

It's just that I have seen restoration guides for other specific vehicles that have been very informative for getting a general idea of what to expect. Guides that cover complete teardowns of a stock vehicle to the frame, rebuilding the car piece by piece with specific tips on assembly and repair that is specific to the vehicle,(common spots for rust, parts that commonly wear out, parts to expect replacement during the reassembly such as gaskets, new body hardware, etc.) Exploded views with BOM's. These guides are a great place to start planning and budgeting so I know what to look for when looking for a project car.

I can tackle everything under the hood, electrical, HVAC, drivetrain, suspension, and interior. I know when to send stuff out for professional help, such as engine machine work, front end alignment, differential work, etc. If I screw it up, I can live with it or have a pro fix it. This is for fun after all! It's the body work and paint that will be the learning experience for me, and that's what i want this project to be for me. I am fully expecting to buy tools. I've waited to a point in my life where I can dedicate monthly income until this gets done or know when to pull the plug and be ok with it. I plan on going through the entire prepping/painting process and be satisfied with however it turns out. I specifically want to start with a car that needs work, possibly with no engine so I drop in what I want. What I dont want is something where the body/frame is tweaked. I want to start with at least a straight/repairable body within reason. I will have someone evaluate that prior to purchase and let them tell me what I'm getting into. I plan on a restomod, the depth of which depending on how long I want to burn my dedicated income, patience, and time. This car will be for me and the fun of driving it.

So... I know restoration guides exist for other vehicles, any suggestions for a 2nd gen camaro? I could the ones out there myself but was hoping to lean on the wisdom of others that have already found such resources. I am aware of the existence of YouTube and it's a fantastic supplement but a general comprehensive guide would be nice. I will be acquiring the factory assembly manual for sure. Sorry for the longwinded response, I'm not trying to be difficult but hopefully trying to explain where I am coming from! This is for fun and if I botch the whole thing then I will approach it with the mindset that it was a fun experience!

Old 09-17-2018, 06:52 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you find one please post back. I have been on this site since 09 and working on Camaros since 1979 and I never seen one.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 AM
2nd Gear member

There are the factory assembly manuals.of different kinds .Books such as the Camaro Restoration Guide".Magazine articles of that era..Hemmings Motor News .and your local library would be good sources. Join a local Camaro club. and talk to others in your local car community ..Such as body and other parts involved.The more research you do .The better you will do..

Old 09-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 AM

I'll let you know what I come across Gorn. You're right, there isn't much aftermarket knowledge out there for these cars, its disappointing. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check out the local clubs and see what there is around here. I'm looking for a project car now and see what I can find in my area, hopefully I will be rolling soon on a project.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:11 AM
2nd Gear member

Maybe one of the clubs can help you find your Camaro..And most of my knowledge about Camaro is by doing it and making mistakes along the way.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:41 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can find any information on the net on a second gen Camaro if you look hard. I would bet I could find a small chapter worth of info on the correct radiator for a 1970 big block car. Unless you are doing something custom someone has already asked any question you can think of. Some question are answered with a single picture and others are 20 page debates but amateurs have been resorting these cars since before the world wide web, everything has been covered over and over.

The thing is there is to much info for a guide. The guide would look like an encyclopedia set and cost $100's of dollars and most people would on use about 10% of it. If there was a market for something like that someone would make it. Honestly the GM repair manuals from the 70's are pretty good and contain most of the information on "how to". Add in the body repair specs that the body shop has for frame and body repair and you have everything that 90% of the people need. The other 10% is concord restoration type information and that info is very fluid in terms of how to and where to get correct parts, what other cars may have the correct parts. Basically how to get a car looking like it just rolled off the end of the assembly line.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-22-2018 at 07:47 AM.