Best practice: how often should you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Best practice: how often should you drive?

Hi all,

Just wondering... If you have a very well kept 2nd genration with rebuilt engine, how often do you have to drive it to mantain it in the best possible way?

Is once a month not enough or dangerous for the car?

What do you think?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

honestly you don't have to drive it at all if you take all the fluids out. or if you plan on storing it for months over the winter like i do, you could add some stabil fuel stabilizer and not worry about it at all. or you could just start the car up for about 10 minutes once a week. you may need to buy a trickle charger though to keep you battery from dieing.

I keep my car garaged and at very minimum i'll go out there every week or week and a half and start it up for about 10 minutes with the garage door open just to keep the fluids moving so that none of the lines get gummed up. I think that most people on this site keep their cars garaged through the winter months so i wouldn't worry about your car not starting next time you go out to it. (And i keep bringing up winter because that is usually the longest period of time, most of us go without driving our cars)

Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I thought I was the only one here that would keep it under cover for more than a week .

That's comforting to know that I can leave it there for months just turning it on here and there and adding some fuel stabilizer. That's exactly what I'll do, thanks!

Old 10-03-2011, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

well you don't need to add fuel stabilizer if you are going to start it once a week or even twice a week. Fuel stabilizer is more for storing months at a time. But yes, i think most people on this site have other cars as their daily drivers. well, except for me, i just use my roommates

Old 10-04-2011, 03:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

That's a deal: 10 minutes on sundays and driving it in the neighborhood

Thanks guys!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I drive mine very little in the winter, and even in the summer it sits for a month sometimes between drives. Winter storage is 6 months for me, and all I've ever done was add 5 gallons of 106 octane racing fuel to the tank and run it for 15 minutes prior to storing it for the winter. Never used stabilizer or additives, and it starts right up each spring.