Best options for eng/Trans combo swap with FI into 70 RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Default Best options for eng/Trans combo swap with FI into 70 RS

I bought a 1970 RS that has a 80’s 350 engine out of a truck. Figured since it wasn’t the original engine I’d swap it for a later 350 with some sort of fuel injection and an over drive trans

looking for advice on best donors, and any pitfalls to avoid on different years of transmissions and different years of different types of FI

thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Fred, it may be too late, er, or too early in years, but the swap used to be a V8/trans from a GM/Chev truck, or, most any V8 with TBI , at least, EFI. Yes, OBD 1, from '87 through '95-'96, but better than carb.
You would get everything you can imagine from donor.
You would hook up an electric fuel pump, as TBI requires 13 PSIG pressure and a return line to tank.
Moroso markets a T for return line fitting at the junction of tank and filler tube.
OE exh manifolds are O2 sensor ready on donor engine.
Other than this, same with OBD 2, but heftier fuel pump.
Or aftermarket EFI, $$$

Old 01-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Are the bell housing bolt pattern the same on all SBC
been a few years since I was involved with this and I hate to be asking such basic questions, but because I have not had any projects I haven’t followed the changes
thanks for your help

Old 01-17-2018, 12:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Yes, same bolt pattern.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe you should review your goals here. There are some advantages to OBD2 (1996-up) and some disadvantages. There are some advantages to a simple aftermarket self leaning system. The right system for you is based on what you want out of the car, future upgrades and budget.

Just a FYI, aftermarket systems are so easy now, Roadkill did an episode where they bought the kit at a parts store and installed it in a parking lot and drove away 3 hours later.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:00 PM

Thanks.
to answer your question I’m looking for something to have that’s nice to drive gets decent mileage and has the ease of drivability. Also overdrive transmission would be nice. I know the fuel injected engines get much better mileage.
Talking with some friends at a local restoration shop that I call on for my work, they told me I should probably look for something 98 to 2006 or so. He is probably a Camaro because of the brackets and things would be more suitable then something out of a Tahoe or a pick up

Old 01-20-2018, 02:51 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fred Demmon
Thanks.
to answer your question I’m looking for something to have that’s nice to drive gets decent mileage and has the ease of drivability. Also overdrive transmission would be nice. I know the fuel injected engines get much better mileage.
Talking with some friends at a local restoration shop that I call on for my work, they told me I should probably look for something 98 to 2006 or so. He is probably a Camaro because of the brackets and things would be more suitable then something out of a Tahoe or a pick up
1998-2002 Camaro or Trans am Firebirds can be had pretty cheap sometimes,especially if body rough and that LS1 would be a sweet swap, unbelievable gas mileage and drivability for the power output. Swap parts and info is readily available as well.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Yes, same bolt pattern.
So is the big block Chevy,one of the great things about old Chevys is the parts interchangeability. The Distributers and starters are also the same fitment big or small block.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

LS1 is a great motor, it is being swapped into everything so parts are everywhere. You would have a hard time coming up with a car that someone has not already swapped an LS into.

Price for a LS1 is going to be a lot higher then then a truck engine. The original LS1 motor is an all aluminum 5.7 350 (346 actual). Everyone is on the hunt for a low miles one. But the LS1 is just the first of the 3rd generation of chevy small blocks. If you look at trucks and Vans built after the 2000 (some 1999s) they will have LS designed iron motors and they are insanely durable. In some case bought on the cheap. The LS1 intake is very low to fit the Vet and Camaro but your 2nd gen will not it to be that low. There really is to much info to go over on the LS motors. Take your time and research it.

Eastwood is a restoration supplier, there is a show on youtube called Hands on cars they sponsor. They have Kevin restore a ratty 2nd gen and one of the things they do is a LS swap. They don't talk a lot about the motor but they go over some. Their main focus is to sell restoration stuff so you may want to fast forward past the body stuff.

Why is the LS so good.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-20-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

The LS based 5.3 truck motors are cheap and easy to find and can make good power with a few minor mods,great gas mileage too. You might also get lucky and run across a deal on an LQ9 6.0,won't get as good a gas mileage as a 5.3 or 5.7 LS but it'll make plenty of reliable power without any mods.

LQ9

The Vortec HO 6000 or VortecMAX is a special high-output version of the Vortec 6000 V8 truck engine originally designed for Cadillac. This engine was renamed as the VortecMAX for 2006. It features high-compression (10:1) flat-top pistons for an extra 10 hp (7 kW) and 10 lb⋅ft (14 N⋅m), bringing output to 345 hp (257 kW) and 380 lb⋅ft (515 N⋅m). LQ9s are built only in Romulus, Michigan.
LQ9 (VIN N) Applications:

Last edited by Y2K; 01-20-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Best options for eng/Trans combo swap with FI into 70 RS