Aloha!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 05:27 AM
Default Aloha!

Aloha all, I just registered on the forum as I am contemplating starting a pro-touring project on our pristine 1977 Z28 with 16,000 original miles. I don't have pics available right now, but it's by far the cleanest '77 I've ever seen in person (of course it's been sitting in the garage for the last few years untouched). The interior still looks brand new, as does most of the rest of the car so I wanted to get some pointers and opinions on the car before I start so here go the stats:

1977 Z/28 - Original paint, wheels, interior, engine, tranny, etc. Built 350 with a Comp Cams 292H (corresponding lifters, springs, retainers etc...), Edelbrock Performer intake manifold, Holley double pumper 650 CFM carb, GMPP heads, Centerforce dual friction clutch, Black Jack Headers, Dynomax custom dual exhaust. The car came with 3.73's, and the Super T-10 if I recall correctly.

I am considering going with a Global West front end rebuild kit with coil-overs, Global West body bushings to drop the body a 1/2", Global West subframe connectors, Baer or Wilwood Brakes on all 4 corners, Hotchkis swaybars, perhaps a 4" Harwood cowl hood (not sure if this is the best brand anymore), and possibly convert over to a T-56 6 speed. I am undecided on the powerplant for now, but I would LOVE to throw a slightly warmed LS7 with a Procharger on it. I am definitely thinking a tub will be mandatory (though I hate to hack up the car like that), and 18 x 9 & 18 x 12 Fikse's wrapped with Michelin PS2's.

I have not thrown much thought into building out the interior yet, but I would think a good set of Cobra Misano's would work great for the seating assignments and a removal of the backseats might be in my best interest in terms of eeking out the last of the weight savings. I would like to retain the stock gauges and as much of the stock interior as possible. I think I'll skip the cage as well so as to minimize the irreparable work to the car.

Does anyone have any input on my parts list sources or my choice of modifications? Any testimonial on experience (preferably your own) with the aforementioned mods would be great. I would also like to hear from the purists on the value of the car and whether I would be making a HUGE mistake by putting the Z under the knife. Any & all constructive/informative input is appreciated. With that, here is a pic of my personal project that is just about complete....hence my moving onto something new to start up. I am not selling her.....just starting something new.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Aloha!

Will all the things you want to do to that car, I wouldn't hack it up. You could probably find a 'roller' cheaper and it would have most of the mods you want done anyway.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Aloha!

I agree with rand why would you take a virgin car and rape it leave it alone its probly worth a bundle of money. find out on what its worth. thats my opionon