'88 5.7-'78 350 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Default '88 5.7-'78 350 Conversion

I work for a tow yard. Have a 78 Sport Coupe Camaro with no motor/tranny in the back, vin says it came with a 305. Stipped a 88 Silverado with a 5.7/th700r4. So far I know about the manifold so i can Carb it. (I am carbing it because I'm only 22 and grew up with fuel injection/computers. I want something simple. Not going for anything track fast. A V8 is plenty of power after being used to IL/V 6 and IL4. I know, i was deprived as a child). Also the speedo and harness for the tranny. Is there anything I'm missing. Some one spoke of a cam being different with a the 88 TBI set ups. Also someone thought the knock sensor would shut the motor off if not hooked to the ECM. I was gonna pull that and plug the whole. And finnaly, anybody know where to find the smog stuff, gotta do all the vacuum lines.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Overdrive Member

Intake and dizzy and the knock sensor just becomes a plug to keep oil in. The cam wont have a lobe on the end for the fuel pump push rod, so and electric pump or new cam are in order.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Dizzy? I see about the cam now. Just picked up the intake. Guy at shop (that I got the intake from) said that e-pump would fail smog visual so I guess I'm going mech.
Ill do some more research. The body is from oregon and has duel flows with space for headers hanging from underneath. I was gonna duel cat for smog but I guess 78s never came with duel. My chilton guide has a pic with the same exaust set up.
Do you know where I can find an efe valve and will that unballense something if I duel it?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes it is anthony8878. I scewed something up on full acess.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by anthony7888
Do you know where I can find an efe valve and will that unballense something if I duel it?
WHAT does that mean? Use your spell check.

Dizzy = Distributor The truck one won't work right with the carb. I dont think any second gen came with two cats.

Ask the dude you talked to this. If the electric fuel pump won't pass smog, how would I do an LS swap and get fuel to it? They don't have provisions for a mechanical pump. If you put a carb on the motor it won't pass either, right?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM

Hi
I have a left and right front fender off a 78 z28 if interested
Thanks

Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry about the spelling, I posted from my phone. Thanks 77 Nomad for the definition. I figured those connectors wouldn't have anywhere to go. I opted for an HEI.

I think I figured out my unbalance issue. The body has pipes and flow masters set up for duels. But California smog says that all equipment has to be there. If I understand the diagrams right, an efe valve or "heat riser" on one side of the motor (in a duel set up) before the cat should be the equivalent if the manifold tied everything together because the efe is before the cat on a leg of the y.

I would like to get away with putting smog legal shortie headers on and an efe valve on one side along with two separate cats so I can plumb into what's hanging underneath the body. Otherwise I wouldn't mind tying everything in with one cat and one flow master. The duel tips are hidden any ways. Would there be any power difference with a duel cat set up versus tying everything together and singling out?

Smog hints appreciated.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by rrosholt
Hi
I have a left and right front fender off a 78 z28 if interested
Thanks
Thanks for the fender offer rroholt. Do those scoops have and functionality. I know they are tell tale sign of a Z28. My 78 is a Sport Coupe Camaro that came with a 305 (according to the VIN). I guess with the motor (350 4 Barrel) I am putting in, the only difference would be the fenders and the missing gages (as far as a "Z Car goes").
Actually I need the waffle crash thing that goes before the polyurethane nose clip and the radiator. Other than that I am missing a hood but I have my eye on a 2 inch steel cowl induction hood.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Overdrive Member

The sway bars, steering box, and leaf springs are also different. Just so ya know. Oh yeah the grills were different too. I have a small warehouse here if you would like to see the differences.

The fender vents were to let the pressure under the hood vent at higher speeds. The cars running in Trans Am and Iroc series had problems with the nose lifting at speed. The nose lifting took weight off the front tires making the car push in the corners. So... they put holes in the fenders to let the air escape.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh I see.

Quick Reply: '88 5.7-'78 350 Conversion