80 RS questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Default 80 RS questions.

im kinda young so bare with me i ask lots of questions. my RS has a 350 v8 in it with elderbrock intake that needs a complete rebuild but want to know if i was to replace my engine what engine is excellent on power and doesnt brake my bank to bad? also i want side pipes how do i do that? thanks
Lhammonds

Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I would say if you are going to change the motor go with another 350. You can make a good 350 a powerful motor. and won't kill the bank as much as it would if you went the big block route. As for the side pipes you can do it a few ways. Mine came of a older corvette so they were pretty much bolt right onto the headers and mount to the bottom of your rockers. Or you can do it your self if you have the bender tools to do so.

I will tell you they can become to be a pain in the *** sometimes more then they are worth. You bottom out alot on driveway & parking lot curbs pot holes speed bumps ect

But here you can see how i have mine i can take some detailed pics later from under the car so you can see how they mount. if you want.

My car is also a 80 R/S
Name:  Picture050.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  83.3 KB
Name:  Picture061.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  84.9 KB

Last edited by 80R/S; 05-13-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:36 AM
July 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Whats all wrong with your motor you have? maybe it might be worth fixing it up rather buying another motor?

Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 PM

by bottom out you mean? and i would like to because they look sick and the motor leaks alot. gaskets need to be replaced. theres a seal leak i think its rear main seal or something ill have to take the engine and transmission apart to fix it i might just rebuild this one or get a tune up kit. and how much were your pipes?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lhammonds
by bottom out you mean? and i would like to because they look sick and the motor leaks alot. gaskets need to be replaced. theres a seal leak i think its rear main seal or something ill have to take the engine and transmission apart to fix it i might just rebuild this one or get a tune up kit. and how much were your pipes?
what i mean is with the side pipes your pipes sit close to the ground so they will hit curbs speed bumps ect it can cause some good money in repairs so i have learned As for how much mine cost well they were on the car but i know he paid $600 for them and install but remember these ones are off a corvette sting ray so that's what he paid for. Now you could probably have a local muffler shop bend a set up with some mufflers for a few hundred bucks

Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You can buy a new set of side pipes from Summit for $215 (Patriot brand 60") $199 for 50", or black Hookers for $239. Here's a link to Summit's side pipes:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...%20pipes&dds=1

I used to run the Hooker black side pipes on mine, but they take more fabrication to hook them up to your exhaust system.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 AM

well yall think i should get them or go with flowmaster regular? if i go flowmaster ill put a igniter kit on it. what yall think?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 AM

oh and i got a automatic and i want a 4 speed manual how would i come by this? and would it be smart to get a used 350 with a 4 speed or what?

Old 05-14-2010, 02:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

1st setting up a budget, researching what would you like to have and then what you can afford. Changing from Automatic to Standard is something you cannot really do in one afternoon by yourself. With patience (my current modo), you can find the parts you want on craigslist. thepartstrader and eBay. I have a 350 I just started upgrading now and I'm doing it under my budget of $1500. Why don't you look into rebuilding the engine you have and putting a Stage 2 shift kit in your tranny. You will lay some patches on the road and chirp tires when it changes gears. Shift kit is only like 60 bucks. Automatic to Manual costs can run up to $1000 dollars if you do not have all the parts from the donor car. There are helpful How-To videos out there that you can see that it is fairly simple if you have the proper tools.

Last edited by 68BarnFind; 05-14-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Heck you'll rarely find a good Super T10, or a Muncie M21 or M22 for under $1,000 alone! Then there's bellhousing, linkage, pedals, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, shifter, etc.... I doubt you could do it for under $2,000 unless you found someone wanting to convert to a automatic and sold you the package. Or find a donor car with a blown motor and get the stuff.
Another solution would be to find a wrecked Camaro with a good engine, tranny, etc. and buy the whole car to rob the items you need. I personally would get a well built automatic and stick that behind your engine after a rebuild. It's the absolute least expensive way to go.

Quick Reply: 80 RS questions.