'72 camaro exhaust update

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009 | 02:47 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes
Smile '72 camaro exhaust update

Hi, well, I thought I would post some pics of my very slow progress with my exhaust. I ended up having to saw off the old exhaust pipe in order to expedite the removal of the manifold. In the process, I broke a spark plug. However, I also found that it didn't have a gasket! Is this normal?

Here are some pictures of the progress...

I will keep posting more if you guys are interested

Old 01-16-2009 | 06:37 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It is normal for the manifold to not have a gasket. Chevy did not install them at the factory. Are you switching to headers?

Old 01-16-2009 | 08:03 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Oh, very interesting about the gasket. Should I put one on there?

I don't know what I am going to do for it yet. I had to replace it because it was just too old and it was letting fumes into the passenger compartment. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on what I should get it. More specifically, WHERE can I find a good fit for a decent price?

Old 01-17-2009 | 09:46 AM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you are putting the old factory manifolds back on, put in gaskets. They warp with age and will leak if you do not use them.
The headers I used on my car are mid-length ceramic coated. The flanges are 3/8 thick and the primaries are heavy gauge steel too. There were no problems with clearance and they fit well. I went with mid-length because I did not want any issues with ground clearance. Picked them up on Ebay from White Performance for under $200. I mated them with a Flowmaster exhaust system, it's a little loud (inside) but not bad.

Old 01-17-2009 | 12:14 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

I am thinking about getting it Hooker headers but I am having one little problem. On this page you see that amber number 3 by the image?

http://www.holley.com/2451-2HKR.asp

Well, when you click on it the page tells you that the headers are illegal on the highway and are subject to state emission laws and it just makes everything so complicated! Can anyone help with this?

I am getting it something like this (also from Hooker).

I want something reasonably priced. If someone knows a good combo of headers and exhaust that won't sound too annoying and loud please let me know.

Old 01-17-2009 | 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Thoreau
Well, when you click on it the page tells you that the headers are illegal on the highway and are subject to state emission laws...
All that means is that they don't have provisions for you to hook up the stock emissions crap (if your car is so equipped). If your car doesn't need to get emissions tested by your state, then you have no problems using those headers.
Whatever the aftermarket part may be, if it doesn't conform to be "emissions compliant" then they have to label it as "off road" or "race only", etc. to be able to legally sell it. It's up to the buyer to use it the right way, or not.

Old 01-17-2009 | 03:39 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry about posting twice, it won't happen again.

Okay, so do you recommend I buy them? I just don't want to spend all that money and then fail inspection in Texas. I really want to get the headers but if I have to then I'll just keep the manifolds.

Old 01-17-2009 | 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So I take it your car will get emissions tested?
Were there any smog tubes or any other emissions stuff connected to your exhaust? I don't see any open fittings on the manifolds.
With all the factory exhaust stuff off, your car is begging you to put headers on.

Old 01-17-2009 | 09:47 PM
|
In the Staging Lanes

No there wasn't anything on my exhaust but the manifolds connected to the pipes. I stripped it all the way down and today I was supposed to order the new system minus the manifolds. Then, I started considering the headers. Well, I was going to get them today but then I saw the little announcement I mentioned earlier about the emissions stuff. I prefer to get the manifolds but I don't want to be as*ed out if I do get them.

Old 01-17-2009 | 10:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

Didn't they start doing the AIR stuff in the later 70's? I know that the 75 model was the first with a catylitic converter.

These are the full length hooker headers that I purchased for my car. They fit with no problem at all.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I also run a set of Thrush glasspacks and it's damn loud in the card. Previous owner installed those long before I got there.

Quick Reply: '72 camaro exhaust update