Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   70-81 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/)
-   -   70 camaro weatherstripping (https://camaroforums.com/forum/70-81-general-12/70-camaro-weatherstripping-55645/)

Texas70z28 09-29-2010 10:53 PM

70 camaro weatherstripping

fixing to order weather strip kit for my 70 camaro from classic industries,any tips/tricks to installing it? I will be doing the doors and door glass felts.

77nomad 09-30-2010 03:07 AM

Put tape on the paint along the top edge of the door. The trim on the repop stuff id sharp and I scratched mine.

Texas70z28 09-30-2010 10:30 PM

ok thanks, been trying to order at classic industries web site for 30 mins now and it's hosed. I give up may just buy somewhere else. how do u post pics of your car I looked at FAQ but I dont have an album link

77nomad 10-01-2010 03:06 AM

you'll need around ten posts first. it keeps the spammers down that way.

ZOG 10-02-2010 02:28 PM

I need to reweatherstip my doors and windows too.

Let me know if you find a good place to get them and any tricks you could suggest after you get them in.

photobucket.com is a good image hosting site that I use. You upload from your computer and copy the link from the site to the post.

1971BB427 10-04-2010 06:52 PM

You may not have the scratching isssue if your doors have chrome edge molding now. Camaros with chrome trim use felts that don't have edged stainless steel trim. Weatherstripping snaps in, but the ends needs to be glued with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Be prepared to adjust your door strikes afterwards. I had to lossen mine way out and gradually adjust them in a little each day to get them to finally sit right.
New weatherstripping needs to compress gradually, so same thing for the windows. I gradually was able to roll the windows up a little higher each day until after a few weeks they finally closed with the windows fully up.
Not sure what brand weatherstripping Classic sells, but there's huge differences between brands. Supposedly Metro is the finest. I got PUI which was highly rated, and I'm not that happy with it.

Potterboy 10-04-2010 08:05 PM

I ordered mine from year one. Not sure on the install because I had it shipped directly to the body shop during paint. However I am really happy with the product

Texas70z28 10-05-2010 09:18 AM

Thanks for all the replies i just bought my car and there is no rubber or felt on the doors. I noticed there are 2 types of stripping one with a chrome bead one without. It says if your hood does not have chrome on rear edge order the stripping with chrome bead as most camaros had this, does that sound right? Also the 3 felt guides on each door the felt is gone their $13 each, does anyone just sell the felt so i can just reglue?

1971BB427 10-05-2010 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Texas70z28 (Post 461790)
Thanks for all the replies i just bought my car and there is no rubber or felt on the doors. I noticed there are 2 types of stripping one with a chrome bead one without. It says if your hood does not have chrome on rear edge order the stripping with chrome bead as most camaros had this, does that sound right? Also the 3 felt guides on each door the felt is gone their $13 each, does anyone just sell the felt so i can just reglue?

My wife called the local fabric store and found they had some really thick felt material. I went there and bought the minimum amount (which was hundreds times more than needed!) and took the bumpers out of the doors. Then I removed the old felt and used 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue on the new felt pieces. I tied them in place with small nylon ties until it dried, then reinstalled them. Cost was a few bucks, and it worked perfectly.

77nomad 10-06-2010 01:23 AM

Thats a good idea, I was gonna cut up a sweat shirt then use the inside.