70-73 solid bumper to split conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Default 70-73 solid bumper to split conversion

hello everyone, my first post

im looking for a 2nd gen and starting my research, so first question if i find a solid bumper and want to convert to split bumper what is involved? anything else to think about frame supports or such?

Thanks,

Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by OS inspector
hello everyone, my first post

im looking for a 2nd gen and starting my research, so first question if i find a solid bumper and want to convert to split bumper what is involved? anything else to think about frame supports or such?

Thanks,
Well first I'd hope you didn't change it, since it seems so many people do. It's actually getting to be unique to see a full bumpered early 2nd Gen.
If you insist, then it depends on whether you do it correctly, or just slap two bumperettes on it as to what it takes. You actually can just unbolt the full bumper and buy the split bumpers and bolt them back on.
The full RS version requires a lot of parts and money, plus paint work. You'll need some support brackets also to the radiator core support. You need the header panel, lower valance, marker lights, urethane nose, both grille halves, center grille divider, and the bumpers. If you have a spoiler, you'll also need the correct spoiler to fit the new lower valance. All the parts new repop will run over $1,000 and then paint work on top of that. Might be able to sell some of your old stuff to recoup the some costs, but probably be lucky to get $200 out of all the parts.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Personally, I like the split bumper look better, but only if done "RS right" as 71 told you. Some true 2nd gen Camaro guys may thumb their nose at you for having a poorly executed "RS wannabe". Why, I have even heard of a full fledged tar and feathering happening over this!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Some true 2nd gen Camaro guys may thumb their nose at you for having a poorly executed "RS wannabe". Why, I have even heard of a full fledged tar and feathering happening over this!

That's true. As a matter of fact I'm boiling up a fresh batch of tar as we speak..........So OP be sure to let me know what you decide.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ lmao. And it's gotta be turkey feathers you use.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sad part is probably half those I see converted to RS "clones" are not done the full route. Even sadder is most people who look at them don't notice or see the difference! I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me "What year Camaro was the split bumper?"
They don't realise it was an RS option, they think it's a specific year model.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Sad part is probably half those I see converted to RS "clones" are not done the full route. Even sadder is most people who look at them don't notice or see the difference! I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me "What year Camaro was the split bumper?"
They don't realise it was an RS option, they think it's a specific year model.

I know what you mean. I don't even try to explain it anymore. Some will even argue the point. Seems there are always going to be people like that no matter what kind of old car you drive just because they had one once or their dad or uncle had one, yada, yada, now they are an expert. Sometimes I feel like answering, "I don't know I just stole it."

Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Well first I'd hope you didn't change it, since it seems so many people do. It's actually getting to be unique to see a full bumpered early 2nd Gen.
If you insist, then it depends on whether you do it correctly, or just slap two bumperettes on it as to what it takes. You actually can just unbolt the full bumper and buy the split bumpers and bolt them back on.
The full RS version requires a lot of parts and money, plus paint work. You'll need some support brackets also to the radiator core support. You need the header panel, lower valance, marker lights, urethane nose, both grille halves, center grille divider, and the bumpers. If you have a spoiler, you'll also need the correct spoiler to fit the new lower valance. All the parts new repop will run over $1,000 and then paint work on top of that. Might be able to sell some of your old stuff to recoup the some costs, but probably be lucky to get $200 out of all the parts.
thanks for the reply, i like the full RS conversion. 1000.00 for parts is not a big deal. as this car is leaps and bounds cheaper then modding my other car.

by spoiler on the front your talking about the front airdam?

id rather have it done right then have *** it and make it look worse.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 AM

okay another question, where is a good resource to look at the parts needed or purchase them. i know there are a bunch of sheet metal and reproduction places. but im sure you guys know the good from the bad quality.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

When you're buying new repros, it's almost all got flaws or fitment issues. I've heard that National Parts Depot was the best. I didn't get mine there, and had issues with most parts, but since have purchased from them and all was good stuff at reasonable prices.

Quick Reply: 70-73 solid bumper to split conversion