454 custom turboed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Default 454 custom turboed?

i have an entire engine scheme planned out, due to the fact that i already have a 454 in the garage. my only problem is that im trying to fit this into a 70 firebird...i know this is a camaro site, but i havent found a decent firebird. so i figured i go with the sister car website and see what i can do. is it worth trying to fit that motor into the firebird? please help

Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Default RE: 454 custom turboed?

from what ive heard the 454 was a much better motor than the pontiac 455. I know that it made a good 50hp more. But ive also heard that a 454 is a mechanics motor that needs to be well maintaned. the motor should fir considering that a 70 firebird can hold a 455. but i have no idea how much customization it would take. anyways, just my 2 cents

Old 06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Most parts easily interchange between the camaro and the bird....
The 455 was lighter...parts tend to run a little pricer than big blocks chevy's for them. If you have the 454 then it should not be a problem to swap it into the bird, I think the selection and availablility of parts is better on the chevy motor..I've done 2 small blocks into birds...Just be sure and get the correct frame to motor mount brakets ( they are taller than the small block ones) There will be a few bracket changes, but all in all it is not that difficult.

The one problem you may have is the clearance on the heater hoses if it is a heater only car. they come out right next to the valve cover between the cover and the distributer.

On the a/c cars the hoses come out between the blower motor and the a/c underhood box. The underhhod box sometimes gets in the way of tall valve covers...

I did the change on one so if it is a heater only car let me know.
also there are a few companys that make a under hood a/c delete box for the camaro... lets you ditch the factory a/c and run only the heater...

Inlighten us on your plan!

A huffed 454 sounds interesting.....

G

Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 PM

i've been doin some math but thats mainly for the fuel injection conversion...i have plans for custom twin turbo...i would have to go through that grab all part numbers for you to go through and double check my parts...but a set of pistons CR 8.5:1,cams, valves, crank, h beam rods, full port and polish alum heads, not sure on what turbos best used, but thats a start, ill be sure to chime in real soon with exact parts and numbers...any imputs? also would like the info on that heater only, not sure if im even gonna be needing a heater in it, but best to know the info just in case

Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

As for the heater it depends if it is an AC car or Heater only car. The heater only car has a different fire wall cutout and uses different underdash box. Heater only applications for Small block applications had the heater core tubes coming through the fire wall next to the distributer. When you stab a BB in,you run into clearance problems on the valve cover and heater hoses. To fix this, chevyflipped the heater core around so the hoses exit the firewall on the outboard side of the firewall opening.The tubes actually come through theunderhood heater box.
So when running a big block, with an original heater only option car, use a
underhhood boxhttp://www.americanrestorationparts....RpNeCozMhk3jAo
and
different heater core http://www.americanrestorationparts....C-P501C82.aspx

Whichare the same for a first gen with heater only option....

For f bodies running the factory a/c unit under the dash, the heater hoses already exit over by the blower motor, you can get a replacement under hood box (evapoarative case) that eliminates the a/c stuff. The fire wall opening for the A?C unit is huge...
Here is an ebay link for one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...spagenameZWDVW.

Greg

Old 06-09-2007, 03:24 PM

right on man thanx alot...

Old 06-09-2007, 04:21 PM
May 2007 ROTM

I have a 454 in mine, not sure how close the 70 is to the 74 but my heater hoses look like I would be able to hook up some hoses....It's close but may be the same for you.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 AM

i think there relatively close, my buddy has a 76 and its along the same lines that i see, but if you wouldn't mind, could i get a pic or two to see the clearance in the bay. so i can reference with my engine bay, possibly phot crop and from there start designing piping clearance as much as possible...so yea 74454bb if you wouldnt mind

Old 06-11-2007, 01:19 AM
May 2007 ROTM

no prob, I'll get you a pic...also check the may rtm https://camaroforums.com/m_66585/tm.htmI have a pic there...it looks real close there but I'll get you a close up so you can see.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 AM
May 2007 ROTM

I'll have to get you some better pics some time tomorrow..it was raining by the time I rememberd the pics.

Quick Reply: 454 custom turboed?