1978 rs/lt original paint rare? worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by paperairplanes
you have the rarest of the 78s produced. likes been said its only worth what someones willing to pay for it. id hold onto it and keep it nice, can only continue to appreciate in value.
Yes i totally agree with you on this one

Old 04-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by jshatek
I mean no disrespect in what I'm about to say. Everyone likes to think they own the Hope diamond. And what you've described sounds like an exceptional car. But unless it is 1 of say, 20 cars, it is not rare enough to have special value. 1 of 5700 is not collectible per se. Remember, there were over 272,000 '78 Camaros built ( 2nd most all time ). Since no Special high performance cars were being made in the Camaro line at that time, what you have is simply a very nice used car, worth whatever you paid for it, and worth only what the next guy to buy it feels it is worth. Its' current worth is probably in the $10-12,000.00 range. If you got it for less, you made a good purchase. In terms of being a good investment, it is 1 of 272,000 , albeit, one in very nice condition.
Couldn't have put it better myself. I am a self proclaimed late second gen guru. I've had one in my possession for over 15yrs. I know them fairly well having wrenched on more than I can remember. Including BB conversions, full drag cars and one complete resto. The only cars I see go for any real money are cars that role through the TV auctions. Who in my mind responsible for making this hobby out of reach for the guys who created the hobby in the first place. No need to drag a car out of a old shed that had 1/2" of chicken poop on it. You can just refinace your house and pad David Meccum's pocket instead! What I really mean is you couldn't give our cars away in the 90's now people want 20k for a car that is a complete fake? I saw an early second Z that was a "untouched,unrestored, factory paint car" and while I can't remember now exactly what was off about the car. It was a complete fake and could be spotted from my couch. Imagine if I were standing next to it?

This is the sole reason guys jump on the old inter web and ask this very question, which we get about two a month BTW. TV has driven the price of hotrods out of reach of guys who actually can build and maintain them. I want a 67-68 so bad I can taste it. But in my lifetime I have never EVER come across one I could afford. My neighbor had a 68 with SS lovers in the hood. The roof was gone, the floor was gone and he still wouldn't take 2g for it. This was 1995!

As for the NADA you shove that crap. You cant NADA a 78 Camaro. Is it their average? Really? How many cars are in the pool for their average? 10 maybe? Even so if your not looking for a late model then close the Bluebook and step back into reality. These cars don't buy and sell on NADA price. Last time I checked auction houses weren't car dealer.

Ok, rant over. Back to the question. Without extensive photos of your car including very specific area's like the a pillars, frame rails, rad support mounts, ect.. Without that every person here throwing numbers around is talking out their ****. I mean no disrespect by that BTW.Even still its only worth what someone will pay. In great shape but showing its age I could see a few thousand being the ceiling.

I paid 1800 for my 42xxx mile all original 80 coupe. It has never seen snow, never rusted, never saw sun light in the 90's. Put away in the early 80's after a blown motor. The guy tore it apart in the early 90's to "restore it" then started restoring first gens. The bottom was even sand blasted and coated with POR. The nose was the only thing I didn't get because it had been hit with a snow plow while in the barn. That was three years ago.

Sorry for the post from He77. Post some pics, I really want to see it. But don't hold your breath on price.

SEE THE CAR DOWN THERE? Thats not paint its bare steel.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Are you interested in selling? gaffer8855@aol.com Thanks Jim