1977 Z28 Power Windows, Tough One...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1977 Z28 Power Windows, Tough One...

Hey guys, maybe a couple of you are power window experts on the 2nd gen Camaros I'm hoping... Alright, 1977 Z28, original power windows, I can't get the passenger window to roll down, new switch, new motors... Appears to be no power coming out of the switch... I can tell that from the parts that came with the car that there was a short at the switch and it burned it up, the switch and wiring harness have since been replaced, but still to no avail... Note that up/down on the driver's side works fine and up on the passenger side works fine, it just won't go down and appears to be no power to make it do so... So I'm guessing that it has to be in the harness before getting to the switch... Anyone have any idea where the harness begins, what could be causing this, maybe the color of the wire that would be the culprit?...lol Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Ok I'm no expert on these but I do know that they need to be rewired most times because of the dreaded slow up. This is because the factory didnt add enough relays to the circuit and basically the amp draw is what causes the slow travel. I can get you all the wiring schematics you want. For the culprit is your problem. I would look power at the relay first. I would also check the grounds.

Last edited by 77nomad; 03-18-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

There's only one power wire (the pink) going to the switch. Since the window goes up, power supply would not be your problem. Try bypassing the switch by jumping the pink and brown wires together. If the window goes down, you have a faulty new switch. If still nothing, trace the problem to being the brown wire going to the motor, the connection at the motor, or the motor itself. Yeah they're new, but so?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh alright, I didn't know that there was a dreaded slow up problem, but that would explain why they are SOOO darn slow...lol So what's the best way to speed up their travel?... And YES PLEASE, any other wiring diagrams that you could provide would be most helpful...

Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I will give the pink jumper wire a try also, won't be able to get to it for a couple days though as the car is in an off site storage facility... I have tried two newer switches, both with the same result, I'm sure that the original window motor worked fine as well as the new one that I installed does the exact same thing as the old one, so I'm definitely guessing in the wiring somewhere... So from your response, I take it that the brown wire is definitely going to be my culprit, yes?... Somewhere between the switch and the motor, is that what you're saying?...

Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Overdrive Member

I reread your previous post. I kind of glanced at it the first time. You have power to the switch but no power at the motor? Then yes the wire would be my first thought as well. Look at the boot that goes between the body and the door. Are there any wires with rubs? Maybe one is shorting to ground.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That would be the brown wire you're reefering to. But if the through the door wire was shorting to ground, it would be a poppin a fuse too.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:17 AM
Overdrive Member

If its fused. I was under the impression someone added power to the car.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Not sure if I understand those last couple of replies fellas... As for someone adding power to the car, the car is 100% original with absolutely no modifications, the boot between the passenger door is in great shape with no apparent wear marks or tears... All windows work as they should except passenger won't go down, I put a light to the two wires on each side, all look good but no power coming out of switch when passenger down is pressed...

Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

did you take the pink wire and the brown wire off the switch and touch them together and see if the window went down?

Quick Reply: 1977 Z28 Power Windows, Tough One...