1973 Camaro Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 1973 Camaro Project

Im 16 and I just bought my 2nd car. Its a 1973 Camaro. I bought it off a guy who had put t-tops from a later model on it for $1250. It had a 305 and a 3 speed and was running really poorly. The car is currently in primer and im going to paint it metal flake silver with metal flake black stripes. Since the 305 was running poorly I wanted another engine but bigger with more power. With gas prices as high as they are I looked toward fuel injection. I bought a TBI 350 from a 1991 Police Interceptor. I have the full harness, computer, and even the 700-R4 transmission. I am now in the process of swapping it into the camaro.

I currently have the engine compartment cleaned up and painted. Im starting to do a mac-up wire instillation. I bought some headers and have them on to test fit and they fit fine. Im going to have to take the right side one to my metal shop class atschool monday so I can weld an oxygen sensor bung into it.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 1973 Camaro Project

Does anyone have a picture of the top of their TBI? Im wondering where some of the vacuum lines and a hose go. I would take a pic of mine and post it but my camera is broken (it only works when its plugged into my computer [:@], and the batteries arnt dead).

Old 04-30-2007, 11:08 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Wow, I had a 65 ranchero when I was 16, I know the feeling. Sound like you got quite a project ahead of you. My chiltons doesnt go that far forward (only 67-81) So no help there on the TBI. There should be someone come along soon enough and help you out.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:08 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Try going to the general tach section too.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:34 AM

I just about finished my 73 Z28 that I too got when I was 16.... In 1992!!!!!! I drove it for one day when I got it. It was all original, never touched, still had the 1973 senior parking permit and 1975 registration in the window. 22,000 miles. The paint had rust spots all over it but every emblem and detail was all there. The problem was the car had sat for so long that the suspension was shot, the door panels were falling apart from wheather damage and the clutch was all screwed up and brittle, it kept smoking. So I gave it to my father so he could have his friend paint it and do the suspension.A year later I got the car back, the paint job sucked and was already starting to fade, he never had the stripes put on but it had a new clutch, brakes (I think) and new springs and shocks. I got drunk and backed it into a telephone pole 2 months later. since then, It sat for another 13 years then I dumped like 10 grand into it. New paint again, 2005 corvette red, no srtripes yet, 20 inch Boyd wheels, new interior, every bushing on the car poly urathane, subframe sanded and coated with por-15. I spent 100's of hours by myself on the car. I am regestering the car next week and sending it to paint the spoiler and put the sripes back on finally along with new emblems, door handles, windows and felts.
Good luck with your project and I hope yours doesn't take another 15 years to complete.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

sounds like you did a great job on it alxinya

Old 05-10-2007, 05:29 PM

post some pics!

Old 05-12-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry for no pics, my camera is broken right now. i will buy a new one hopefully by the end of the week.

progress: i got the motor and tranny in, and the radiator supportpainted and bolted back in. i cut a hole in the firewall on the passanger side and got the wire harness in. i found a good place to mount the computer up under the dash but i need to make a better mount.i have the carpet torn out and the door panels off. i need to adjust the windows, locking mechanisms and the whole passanger side door because it falls when I open it and the glass hits the chrome trim. I need to modify the power steering hoses because the ends to go into the box are different then the ones for the pump.

i had to modify the radiator support to fit in because the previous owner had fenders from a later model on. I had to do some cutting to get it to fit properly and to get the larger radiator to fit properly.

i will get some pics up as soon as I can

Old 05-13-2007, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Very cool

I put t-tops off a berlineta on my 71....

Be sure and invest in a good set of subframe connectors and if the sub frame to body bushings have not been replaced, replace them...

I had a buick roadmaster that had the same police package 350 TBI in it....I ran 2.56 gears and got 26.4 out of it on the road....it would fry the tires off it in first.....

sounds like it will work well for you.

good luck

G

Old 06-06-2007, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Progress:

I have the window glass adjusted right,.I fixed the passanger side locking mechanism so that i can open the door from the outside now . I modified the power steering hose endsso they fit now. I have the radiator in. I have the computer mounted. I have the old engine harness out.

Neew to do:

Adjust the passanger door to open properly. Do the fuel lines, filter and pump. Get it wired up. Put the interior in. Put stereo system in. Fix exhaust pipes to fit better with the headers. Put header panel and valance back on. Put the hood back on. Sand the car down, and then paint.

Because I cant find any wire diagrams or info for the bulkhead of the factory harness (i have been spending most of my time looking for info) i am going to have to buy a Painless TBI Wire Harness for $375 so that i can get the car running in time.
Also I now have a camera but i need to get a memory card for it. As soon as i get it i will take pictures and post them.

Quick Reply: 1973 Camaro Project