1972 Transmission linkage problems w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1972 Transmission linkage problems w/ pics

Hi everyone,

here I am again with new problems. This time, I am doing the transmission linkage. Here's the story...

I got under the car and found that the linkage had been "rigged" and the bracket was attached to the transmission fluid pan instead of the holes where it goes. I would like to put it in its proper place but the bracket is not long enough. Oh, my car is 'modified' with a Hurst shifter (I didn't do it) so the manuals don't help much. I hope these pictures help.

ps the parts are dirty because they are hard to reach

Attached Thumbnails 1972 Transmission linkage problems w/ pics-linkage-plate-lineup.jpg   1972 Transmission linkage problems w/ pics-linkage-holes.jpg   1972 Transmission linkage problems w/ pics-linkage-holes1.jpg  
Old 08-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Well the factory goes in the holes on the side of the tranny, but might not with the Hurst linkage. If the linkage doesn't reach, then check the top side at the shifter, as it might need to be lengthened in the adjustment before moving. Turn the adjuster nut until you get all the play possible, then install the bracket and linkage, and readjust.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks, man, you seem very familiar with these 2nd gens. Oh, and the problem is that the bracket is not long enough from one hole to the next. It has enough play but the holes that are on the transmission do not match up with the bracket. Any ideas on how to rig it or fix it?

Last edited by Thoreau; 08-13-2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: to clarify
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

That's the same bracket that my Th400/B&M Megashifter combo uses or atleast it looks like it. If it is like mine it should line up with the holes on the underside of the pan without a problem. I even think there were some spacers (thick washers) that kept it from bending the pan rails.

You will need to play with the adjuster though and verify it goes into each gear from park to 1st both on the console and on the transmission side.

You can check out this PDF on how to do it. It's the megashifter's install instructions and I think it starts at around number 9 where it tells about how to make sure the linkage is correct and all that jazz. This may not be the EXACT application for you but atleast it might get you started in the right direction.

Last edited by kyphur; 08-14-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Making the holes line up is really simple, if they are close. Just use a rotary file or small grinding stone and open each hole up a little lengthwise until they fit. I use a DeWalt high speed grinder with a rotary file attachment to open holes up really fast! I think it's around 22,000 rpm's.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the bracket on my 350 turbo was bent at about a 45 degree angle and used 2 of the pan bolts.when i switched the 400 turbo i had to enlarge the holes because they were further apart

Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by kyphur
That's the same bracket that my Th400/B&M Megashifter combo uses or atleast it looks like it. If it is like mine it should line up with the holes on the underside of the pan without a problem. I even think there were some spacers (thick washers) that kept it from bending the pan rails.

You will need to play with the adjuster though and verify it goes into each gear from park to 1st both on the console and on the transmission side.

You can check out this PDF on how to do it. It's the megashifter's install instructions and I think it starts at around number 9 where it tells about how to make sure the linkage is correct and all that jazz. This may not be the EXACT application for you but atleast it might get you started in the right direction.
Thank you so much!! The last two diagrams are exactly what I was looking for. You are a lifesaver. I'll look for spacers.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 AM
3rd Gear Member

I took some pics yesterday when I pulled my transmission out just for you. If you need them let me know and I will post them up here. If you want I'll even measure the spacers out for you but I think they're just 1/2 inch thick steel spacers. I've bought spacers like that at Lowe's.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, kyphur, I'm really interested in those pictures. I will take some pictures later on today too to show you how it hooks up. Thanks for all your help.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

Well I'll post them first thing when I get home.

Quick Reply: 1972 Transmission linkage problems w/ pics