Head Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Head Gasket Question

Hey guys,

My new motor is back from being re-machined. Getting ready to assemble it. Went and cleaned the motor 3 times last week and then wrapped it up. Tonight I've got the first coat of paint on the block (again).

Sorry, my question is this. The motor only ran some 5 mins last time with no oil pressure. Sooooooooo can I reuse these new head gaskets on the assembly?

Hoping to have the motor back together by the end of the week and back in the car for the second time. New crank & rod bearings set me back double from the first time. Ouch.

Anyway, just want to make sure there is no issue with using the head gaskets again. They seem perfectly good to me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:38 AM
2nd Gear member

as clint eastwood said in the movie, "DO YA FEEL LUCKY, WELL DO YA? "
I would never use ANY engine assembly gasket the second time. maybe with the exception of header/exhaust gaskets

Old 10-17-2017, 11:27 AM
4th Gear Member

As Flast tire suggested, replace gaskets, cheap insurance.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I was leaning that way. Just thought that when these guys do dyno testing and keep swapping heads & intakes they never seem to say they used new head gaskets every time. But you make a good point on the cheap insurance.

Thanks guys. Guess I'll try and swing by the speed shop today if I can get out that way.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Of course no one around here has any (good) head gaskets. =(

Oh well, I'll get them before I get to the heads. Yes, after talking about it, I can definitely see where you'd want new gaskets. Heck, the "squish" is gone after the first install. And I don't want to "over" torque them just to get a good squeeze on them.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:46 AM
4th Gear Member

You will have to re-torque heads after running engine.
If iron heads, re-torque after break-in while hot.
If alum heads re-torque the following morning.
Use Permatex #2 on head bolt threads for sealing coolant from weeping up the threads.
I've always used steel shim gaskets for better heat transfer and sealing.
I would remove the block dowel pins and use a NEW Norton honing stone, like the one you used for sharpening your Boy Scout knife, and with WD40, spray the heads and block deck and hone the surface removing brooch marks.
Keep surface moist, it's like wet sanding.
Now the shim gasket has a smooth surface for sealing after spraying gasket with alum spray paint.
Install dowel pins, and for those blind holes, sand/file a small flat the length of pin allowing air to escape during install.
Install gasket, head, and torque in four steps.
Added benefit of shim gaskets, no re-torque required.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:44 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't think steel shim head gasket are recommended for aluminum heads

Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 PM
4th Gear Member

My mistake, Thank you Flat tire for pointing this out - but I don't read alum head in this thread, unless Mike posted alum head elsewhere and I missed it there - Over 40 thing.
Yes, alum heads get no steel shim.

Last edited by Everett#2390; 10-20-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Nope, you're right. I've got iron camel hump 462s on the car.

So I'll just copy that down and get er done. =)

Thanks guys

Old 01-08-2018, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, nothing like taking a 2 month break. Whew! What a pain to hit a ROAD BLOCK when you want to put your baby back together.

Life has been BUSY since my last post. And all I've got is a short block together. I moved the heads last week (to get to my adjustable table for my son to borrow) and noticed I haven't re-cleaned them yet. Ugh. I'd "like" to take them apart and just redo the fricken heads, but what I "should" do is just clean the snot out of them and put them back on the motor. I "really" need to get some "me" time here to work on this car.

My wife asked me over the weekend (while we were moving my son out of his house he sold) so when is the next car show? I thought for a minute and said I think in April for the Good Guys show in Pleasanton, CA - she looked at me and said, well you don't have much time. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA "SHE" is the reason I don't have time.
Oh well, I now have my son's project car behind my fence (pinning me in towards to the shop) and have come to the realization that it's time to fish or cut bait. I "still" have the new rear end & springs to install. I didn't know if I wanted to see how much of a change the new motor & trans makes first? And the front suspension and 4 wheel disc brake kit. And again, I'm a one man show here.

I know I don't live in the mid-west, but it's been pretty cold this Winter. I haven't found a good heater for the shop yet and being between 38-42 in there, I lose my interest pretty fast.

Also moved my son back into his new place this weekend. I didn't remember how many muscles I wasn't using until now, when I can't move them yet. LOL.

Anyway, just needed to vent (to people who don't care) since if I say something to the wife, I'm sure I'll regret it for some time. =) I've also been trying to trade one of my custom Harley show bikes for a father/son project. If that happens before the '67 is on the road, I'm sure there will be hell to pay.

Keep it simple guys. Wishing you all a very Happy New Year. May you all be healthy and prosper though out the year. Welcome 2018. It's got to be better than last year.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Question