Broke a BOLT! Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Broke a BOLT! Help

I broke a 9/16"water pump bolt of my 69350! Snapped with little effort! Any sugz' for bolt extractors?Thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Default RE: Broke a BOLT! Help

Hello
Sorry about your problem. I would drill a some hole in the middle of the bolt. Use a center punch to start. Then go to the next size up till it gets loose then remove. Be careful not to damage the threads. Also use a magnet to catch the filings.

GO SLOW.

Good luck!
TommyC

Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Good advice. easy outs work well too. I just had a similar issue with a cylinder head bolt, found a tool (set) that is like an easy out only it goes on the outside of the stripped bolt - pretty neat - you would use an easy out on your broken bolt.
Or you could take the rest of the bolts out and remove the pump, then take a vice grip to the exposed stud of the bolt.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It also makes a difference whether the bolt snapped while removing (rusted in place), or while tightening (over-zealous wrencher). If while tightening, the bolt could still be loose in the threads and might be able to be turned with a sharp center punch and hammer.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Good Grief!! My thread extractor broke whileI was tightening it! Now I gotta drill that out! Black andDecker kit NOT recommended!
Bolt 1st broke while I was removing it. Its rusted in place.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Droid

Good luck with that. The extractors are made of hardned steel and a ***** to drill out. You may have to invest in a solid carbide drill (not a carbide tipped one made to drill into concrete).

Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Overdrive Member

always remember to go counter clockwise when loosening bolts, and when tightening a bolt, you tighten until the head breaks off then back off a quarter turn.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Alih

always remember to go counter clockwise when loosening bolts, and when tightening a bolt, you tighten until the head breaks off then back off a quarter turn.
you forgot to mention that bolts should be pried off like with a giant nail puller and nuts should be melted off like with a cutting torch.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Good luck with that. The extractors are made of hardned steel and a ***** to drill out. You may have to invest in a solid carbide drill (not a carbide tipped one made to drill into concrete).
I GOT IT OUT!! (Thanks for the tip z28pete) I used a dremmel tool with a tungsten carbide cutter to cut awat at the broken hardened steelextractor. Then I tried to use another extractor, but the amount of torqueI was reaching was enough to break it all over again. Extractors dont twist before they break like bolts do, they justsnap in half. No more extractors!
Iinstead I useda 5/16 drill bit to make a clean and square path for a 3/8die and just cleaned the the female threads as I slowly turned the die with some cutting oil. Super clean and no damage to the female threads.
I never planned on spending the better half of this week replacing my water pump!
Its the original water pump based on the #'s. Its now an awkward paper weight.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Any recommendations for new bolts? ARP, or other manufacturer? I will not reuse the old bolts, after all this hasle!

Quick Reply: Broke a BOLT! Help