396 with 450hp : is it possible ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camarofrom69
Hmm, sounds like a lot of work ? But can't I just keep a Muncie 4-speed when I get 450 hp because I don't need 500
And yes, it would be foolish to get a matching numbers Camaro and then sell the engine

Thanks !
If you have a Muncie you sure can and if you have a 12 bolt rear end that should do as well but few cars had them.
So do you have a car with a Muncie or just looking for one?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Getting a 396 to 450 HP will be easy, but it will also be even easier with a 454 or 502, and the bigger engine will not have more emissions. In fact, it might easily have lower emissions with a bigger engine, because you don't have to build it as radically to get to 450 hp, as you would a smaller engine.
If you're in Belgium, why worry about it passing Ca. emissions? Does Belgium use Ca. ruegs to set their air standards?
You could easily get by with stock rearend and stock Muncie 4 spd in a Camaro of around 450 HP, and not tear things up if you aren't really hammering it a lot. Start abusing it, and running big sticky tires, and it will begin to break stock trannies, drivelines and rearends.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:22 AM

Are you sure ? Because that'll eliminate a big reason why I wanted a 396 ! And maybe eliminate the 396 at all if the 454 produces less emissions !
But it do will consume more fuel ?
And when I put the pedal to the metal, I just want to know for sure that nothing will break.. So are you sure nothing will break when everything is stock ?
Y2K, 1971BB427 says that a stock rear will do, but if I want to be 100% sure nothing breaks, can I install this 12 bolt rear on a Camaro which doens't have it ?
And no, I don't have any Camaro now, but all this great info you're giving will help me a lot in buying a better one for me in the future

Thanks guys.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Most small block and six cylinder Camaros came with the 10 bolt rear,only the high performance cars mostly big block cars came with a 12 bolt so it depends on what stock is and yes a 12 bolt will fit as long as it's from the right year and car.
I'll assume 1st gen Camaro since that's what most 396 cars were,so any '67-'69 12 bolt from another Camaro or a '68-'72 Nova will bolt in.
The cars with 12 bolts also had multi leaf rear springs which will fit in place of the single leafs as well.
I ran a 10 bolt behind a 427/4 speed for a while and it didn't break but it was not a posi so less stress on it with one only wheel spinning and I was lucky it held up till I got a myself a 12 bolt.
There are upgrades you can get for a 10 bolt to make it stronger,better axles,stronger gears etc. but the housing is not as heavy duty and can break with some wheel hop.
As for emissions and gas mileage,heh,well if you want a big block car forget about gas mileage,you can have a powerful big block or you can have gas mileage,take your pick lol.
A bigger engine can get you the hp #'s you're looking for with less emissions because you can run a less radical build with lower compression,this with the added benefit of burning lower octane fuel.
Simply put bigger engines make more power to start with,to make a 350 put out the power of a 502 requires a very high strung engine running higher compression,higher rpms and higher octane fuel.
Oh and one last note,there is no such thing as 100% sure it won't break when you start racing a car so put that thought out of your head,just build the best you can with the budget you have,better to overbuild the car than the engine if you wnat it to hold up.

Last edited by Y2K; 12-12-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Ah that's good to know ! So a good plan is to buy a very nicely restored Camaro (in-and outside) with small engine, sell the engine but keep the Muncie, and buy myself a crate. But will the guys from the crate install it because I don't know any pro in the area who can do this kinda' job..
And yes, now I see And it's only 1l or so bigger, so what's the diffrence eh
I'll probably won't really race it, mostly put my foot down on a short strait or something but that's all.

Thanks !

E-

Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camarofrom69
But will the guys from the crate install it because I don't know any pro in the area who can do this kinda' job..
I think you're on your own there unless you plan on coming to the USA to buy a car and then have it shipped back there.
If that's the case there are many shops here that will do the conversion for you.
One other thing,if you keep the stock Muncie 4 speed behind a new 450hp big block I'd highly recommend replacing the stock aluminum bellhousing with a steel scatter shield both for safety and durability.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-15000/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-15500/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-15501/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-15510/

Last edited by Y2K; 12-12-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:43 AM

Yes, there are no sales for Camaro in EU, or otherwise very very very hard to find.. I'll probably come to the US of A, buy the car and then try to time it so that the crate and car arrive at the same time. Then let someone who can do this, install it
I'll check it out, thanks

Elias

Old 12-13-2009, 07:06 AM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if your not worried about originality you can get 450 from a small block now days!!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Possible, but how radically would it be build ? ;p

Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Banned
Default 396 with 450hp is it possible

Have you installed anything new hardware or software?

Whether or not you have, I advise you to open in safe mode and do a system restore back to before you remember having these problems if possible...

If that doesnt work --

You may have some registry errors.

Thats a whole nother story.

Quick Reply: 396 with 450hp : is it possible ?