3 speed Saginaw Help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Default 3 speed Saginaw Help please

I heard a springy sounding pop when taking off from a stop. Then the transmission wouldn't shift out of gear. I stopped shut off the engine and could get it in and out of gear. I started it in 1st and then could match the rpms to get in 2nd and 3rd. At a stop with the clutch down all the way and the brake off the car would start the move forward as if the clutch is only partly dis-engaged.

I am planning on taking the transmission off and giving it a good cleaning and see if there is anything obviously broken. I was hoping for some suggestions in case things aren't as obvious as I hope.

This was my dads car and I am trying to work on it with my boys so going to a real mechanic is a last resort.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: 3 speed Saginaw Help please

Uh-oh, it sounds like you may have snapped a finger off your pressure plate. You could have one of three plate designs: long style that has three long skinny fingers, Borg & Beck which has three shorter and wider fingers, or a diaphragm style that has many thin fingers. You're not as likely to snap just one finger off a diaphragm plate since the pressure is evenly distributed among all of them. My guess is that you have one of the three finger styles, and one broke off. Your clutch sounds like it's disengaging slightly, but it would be rocking on an angle if a finger was broken off and not disengaging fully. You can peek through the opening where the clutch fork goes through the bellhousing to see if anything looksbroken. Look at where the throwout bearing contacts the pressure plate.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...re_plates.html

Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM

That sounds like the case, I cant wait to get home and check it out.

Before it broke it was shaking a bit when first starting. I wonder if that was because one of the springs was weaker than the others causing the pressure plate to engage unevenly? I was guessing a warped flywheel, but I guess I will see once I crack this bad boy open.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 PM

Well I got the transmission off. When I looked in the bellhousing I saw the pressure plate is the diaphragm type. Nothing looked broken either. Now I just have to figure out how to hold the engine up while I take the bellhouse off. I did get to take about 5lbs of grease and sand off the crossmember alone. Back to laying under her and thinking.......

Old 11-01-2008, 05:09 PM

So I think the problem might be in the pics (if they loaded). I popped out the throwout bearing and a couple of the teeth on the plate are mashed together. One of those things that just doesnt look right.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 AM

Pics, I hope......

Old 11-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The fingers on the pressure plate shouldn't be like that. My guess is either the finger or it's holder broke, giving you the "twang" that you heard. Get a new pressure plate, and clutch disc too while you're at it. Also check the flywheel for ridges (from wear) or checking (from overheating), and if needed have it machined down or replaced. If the surface feels smooth, just dress it down with sandpaper to break the glaze, and clean it off with brake cleaner.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 PM

First of all thanks again.

Second, how do I go about making sure the new stuff will work with my setup? I have a 350 crate engine, and the original transmission. I want to have some knowledge before going to the store with a box of parts and saying "I need new ones of these".

Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you ask for a clutch & plate foryour year car and transmission model, you should get the right stuff. Then you can compare what they give you with what you have. I forgot to mention before, be sure to get a new throwout bearing too.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:12 PM

I am now saving up for a nice clutch/pressure plate. When I went to look at the throwout bearing I noticed that it is not centered in the bellhousing opening and it seems that when you push the clutch it would push the springs on the plate unevenly. Just wondering if that is normal?

Quick Reply: 3 speed Saginaw Help please