T 350 removal - 67 V-8

Old 05-22-2018, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default T 350 removal - 67 V-8

Hey guys,
Sorry, I've looked through this website until I can't see straight anymore.

Here's the story. While trying to install the new motor, I must have let the torque converter slip out a bit and when I bolted the trans/block together it squeezed tight. So I loosened everything up, spun the converter and it slipped back in and everything was back to normal.

Soooooooo I've been told that I ended up breaking the pump housing and that I now have to pull the tranny out and have it repaired. Ugh.

Just wondering if there is any quick tricks to pull this thing out? It was easier when there was no motor since I had tons of room. The cross member didn't come out the first time - I'm guessing now I need to remove it to drop the trans. Do I have to drop the rear of the front sub frame to slid the X-member out?

Man, I'm SO behind the 8 ball on getting this darn car back on the road. The motor is only 4-6 hrs away from firing up. Dang it.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:26 PM
_CJ

I tried to call monster transmission for you but didn't have the all the details of the vehicle.

If you want a quick answer I'd give them a call, I have a small shop and now they are the only ones I call if i'm stumped on a transmission. The tech guys are always cool and very smart.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM
_CJ

Whoops...their number is 800-708-0087

Sorry about that

Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes the trans cross member needs to come out. No need to mess with the sub frame.

Don't be shocked if the converter needs replaced also. Be glad you did not start the car, that would have sent pump metal through the whole thing, complete redo.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-22-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

In the long run, it's easier to pull/install the engine and trans together. And it's way easier to mate the trans to the engine when it's sitting right in front of you.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:05 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
In the long run, it's easier to pull/install the engine and trans together. And it's way easier to mate the trans to the engine when it's sitting right in front of you.
That's the way I always did it.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Even more true if the engine is not fully installed, When I was younger I could pull a Th350 in about 20 minutes. Course that with the right tools. Engine/trans combo was more like 2.5 hours. Dang exhausts was always the time killer.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:53 AM
4th Gear Member

As Gorn suggests, shorter time.If this route is taken, be sure to have Camaro up high enough for clearance in removing trans from underneath on ground.
Could be a PITA if not.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, it was definitely a pain in the butt. Mainly because I'm working solo. The car can only go so high. =)

news though. Pulled the tranny and pulled the pump housing and NO damage. The inside of the housing was fine. The gears were fine. I must be the lucky No. 1 out of 100 that nothing happened to it.

As much as it was a PITA i'm glad I pulled it and checked things out. Piece of mine for sure. Now it's back under the car, bolted back to the motor and now my question is this ... which way does the cross member go back in? I'm thinking the 2 little holes & 1 larger hole go on the driver side? Seems that's what I remember.

While I had the X-member out I cleaned it up and painted it black. Nice & fresh. But I need to get it back in and just wanted to make sure it was in correctly.

Then the drive shaft and exhaust on tonight and I should be good. I'm soaking all of the front ball joints & connections to swap out the new tubular control arms, springs & big brake kit. I guess I'll also add new tie rods & sleeves and a couple of other pieces while I'm under there.

HOPING to fire it up by Monday - it's been WAY too long.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:24 AM
4th Gear Member

Yes, holes in crossmember for the OE shifter go to drvr side.
Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T 350 removal - 67 V-8